Film Legends -- new video series from WC and FT (apparently)

Started by Darren Dirt, March 09, 2017, 02:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Dirt

WiseCrack and FilmTheorists have joined forces or something.

I like what style they chose for this, it's FUN -- a pretty neat video-game-like way (think Scott Pilgrim, sorta) to celebrate and measure the comparitive awesomeness of well-known epic films.

https://www.youtube.com/user/FilmTheorists/search?query=%22Film+Legends%22

So apparently Captain America went first. Unfortunately, immediately after that Cap got CRUSHED by The Matrix (number One! There is only One!) ... and I can't imagine The Big Lebowski or Toy Story etc. coming anywhere close. But we'll see...

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

I hate this format

Also what makes a good movie? HIGHLY SUBJECTIVE OPINION WARNING

augh whyyyyyyyyyy
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

[ x ] Subjective
[ X ] Fun!

(To me it is like Cinema Wins, an entertaining little escape that is sure to please every single person on the web since everyone agrees with every standard of judgement and... obv j/k. This too is subjective AF. But it is lightweight entertainment, heck not even as mentally heavy as, say, Earthling Cinema)

Mr. Analog

I like Earthling Cinema so much because it gives me things to consider, same with the RLM guys, stuff to think about. I also appreciate that they are not presenting opinions as facts

This doesn't pass the smell test for a few reasons:

1. YouTube has changed monetization to longer videos + engaged viewers (i.e. they watch the whole thing) to keep pace with the Let's Play trend. Longer video, lots of quick cuts, bells and flashing lights to keep a watchers attention... kinda sorta very intentional

2. Attempting to quantify non-quantifiable nerd things = flame wars everywhere with video links that artificially inflate views (I can only imagine what long-ass Reddit threads are already there even with only two videos)

3. At its core this is the most drawn-out "Top 10" clickbait YouTube video ever conceived.

Maybe I'm too cynical, the format seems like a flagrant cash grab trying to balance the creators' desire to put out deep / well edited content but yielding to the harsh economic realities of how YouTube pays the dolla bills.

In other words it's slick but it's cheap. Like going to a circus where the clowns all wear tuxedos.

But hey that's just my opinion :)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

And you shared it in an entertaining way :)

Actually your post makes me think of that Flintstones episode where Fred identified the secret formula to a successful pop song... but the song was fun even if really just a carefully constructed *product*. Eyeballs is as eyeballs does...

Mr. Analog

It's a bit like knowing how the sausage is made for me...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt