1. I'm a morning person
2. My coworkers are not

I'm stuck on a task until someone logs on

Arrrrgh

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

That sux... anyone eventually show up?
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Melbosa on August 19, 2020, 10:19:58 AMThat sux... anyone eventually show up?
Yeah about 10 minutes before a big team meeting lol

By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

My coworkers are morning people, I am not. I sleep in till close to what my old office arrival time was, which gives me about an hour and halve more sleep each day. I hate it when they message me before my alarm or schedule an early meeting.

LOL

Mr. Analog

Hahaha

By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

I just want today to END

Augh!!

By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Well yeah, cuz then your vacation starts, right? Enjoy your time away!
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Thorin on September 11, 2020, 06:24:32 PMWell yeah, cuz then your vacation starts, right? Enjoy your time away!
I certainly will!

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

I finished all my story work for the Sprint, now I'm stuck doing QA

*SIGH*

By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

You guys have devs do QA as well, eh?  The team I joined here has a person who started as a tester, but has been convinced to do coding work, while the rest of us devs on the squad have been convinced to do testing work.  And we all do code reviews, and we make sure not to just rubberstamp our code reviews.  It sure is a different way of working.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

What's getting hard is that lately we've been submitting large MRs (merge requests) with over a thousand lines of code changed, so it's really hard not to just rubber-stamp.  But we owe it to our teammates to really understand the changes they're making and why.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Thorin on March 12, 2021, 12:45:08 PMWhat's getting hard is that lately we've been submitting large MRs (merge requests) with over a thousand lines of code changed, so it's really hard not to just rubber-stamp.  But we owe it to our teammates to really understand the changes they're making and why.
Often to verify I pull the branch locally and run tests on it. That plus review really helps me with large PRs

Generally if the PR is massive I have to question the work in the first place...

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Yeah, cloning the branch and trying it out locally is what we do quite a bit, too.  With GitLab we get "review app" links, so we can point our UI at a copy of the APIs that includes the requested changes, so we can see both what the APIs return directly and how our UI interacts with them.

Sometimes the pieces of work we're doing are just bigger, and then we make sure that our commit history helps our teammates understand what we did, when, and why.  "Clean history" is a real mantra here, and I gotta say, going back through commits from six months or more ago to figure out why something was changed from X to Y is a lot easier with clean histories.  Lotsa "git rebase --interactive"s going on.

I'm sure the MR size will decrease again once we're past the current bit of work, we're all saying at our sprint retrospectives that we need to cut our work into smaller, more manageable pieces.  Thing is, we try to do vertical slices so that every story can be verified through the UI, and the kinds of things we're adding in right now are very complex behind the scenes.  Workflow engines and the like.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on August 19, 2020, 08:29:16 AM1. I'm a morning person
2. My coworkers are not

I'm stuck on a task until someone logs on

Arrrrgh

I'm like a morning person /now/ if I manage to get to sleep regularly before 11-12. Except I still wake up with killer grog half the time.

The larger issue is being a widely distributed team. I have team mates in Australia, Hongkong, and other places. Scheduling can be an issue. And if I need to talk with a specific person it can mean waiting a day.

"Fun"
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!