Minecraft Snapshot 12w17a

Started by Lazybones, April 26, 2012, 10:20:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazybones

http://www.mojang.com/2012/04/minecraft-snapshot-12w17a/

Added editable books
    Wooden half slabs in four colors (and they act as wood instead of stone)
    Bug fixing and tweaks, notably about entity collisions, ?picking blocks? (creative mode), and chat
    Some other, censored stuff

Mr. Analog

Editable books! does this mean the end of literal "Wall of Text" in Adventure maps?
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Quote from: Mr. Analog on April 26, 2012, 10:24:02 AM
Editable books! does this mean the end of literal "Wall of Text" in Adventure maps?

Probably could leave a box with the SERVER RULES, near spawn city with a sigh that says READ ME!

Also of note Throin should be happy that the slab colours have been updated.

Mr. Analog

One thing that needs fixing: Exploding boats!

Seriously, you look at a boat and it falls apart and you don't even get the right material to rebuild it!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Oh man if they finally fixed mobs being able to escape from fences doors, and enclosed rooms... AWESOME
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Thorin

Quote from: Lazybones on April 26, 2012, 10:20:48 AM
    Wooden half slabs in four colors

DAMMIT!  I'll be rebuilding the roof over the D line when that gets released, then :(

Does this require a server update?
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Lazybones

Quote from: Tom on April 26, 2012, 11:38:10 AM
Oh man if they finally fixed mobs being able to escape from fences doors, and enclosed rooms... AWESOME

Ya, every time I log in my imprisoned villagers spill out then magically snap back to their original location

Thorin

HAHA yeah right they'll fix that, it's a "feature".  Allowing four colours on wood is probably easier to code than stopping mobs from going through transparent objects, so I can guess what coding is getting done.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Tom

Quote from: Thorin on April 26, 2012, 11:53:53 AM

HAHA yeah right they'll fix that, it's a "feature".  Allowing four colours on wood is probably easier to code than stopping mobs from going through transparent objects, so I can guess what coding is getting done.
All they need to do is store an extra flag on objects, one if its transparent, and one if it collides with other objects.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on April 26, 2012, 12:24:01 PM

All they need to do is store an extra flag on objects, one if its transparent, and one if it collides with other objects.

I'm actually pretty sure the "flexible" detection is a feature so that you can escape from things like water/lava/landslides
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Quote from: Mr. Analog on April 26, 2012, 12:31:21 PM
I'm actually pretty sure the "flexible" detection is a feature so that you can escape from things like water/lava/landslides

All the blocks are blocks... Any that are transparent or an object that doesn't look like a block but well is a block don't cause suffication damage, thus it is easier for both the player and mobs to escape them

This is why you don't suffocate when climbing a ladder or if your minecart goes in a one block space with a glass block above it. You are always occupying a two blocks minimum.

I found by swapping out glass for another block type imprisoned NPCs jumped around less but I also had random deaths on log in.

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on April 26, 2012, 12:31:21 PM
Quote from: Tom on April 26, 2012, 12:24:01 PM

Each block type could easily be handled. Code is rather flexible that way. Heck to use the two flag approach and still keep the "not suffocating" feature, just check for both at once, and you're golden.

Thorin

Take the example of a fence block, though - the solid, impassable object is in the middle, and you're able to stand in part of the block on your side of the fence.  The only way to stop anyone from passing through is to keep track of which side of the fence they came from to know which side of the block they can enter and leave at will and which side they should never be able to get to.

See, not quite so simple as just checking for one flag or two flags.

That said, I sure wouldn't mind if they applied some brainpower to this problem.  It'd probably alleviate the monsters glitching through solid walls, as well.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Tom

Quote from: Thorin on April 26, 2012, 02:13:20 PM
Take the example of a fence block, though - the solid, impassable object is in the middle, and you're able to stand in part of the block on your side of the fence.  The only way to stop anyone from passing through is to keep track of which side of the fence they came from to know which side of the block they can enter and leave at will and which side they should never be able to get to.

See, not quite so simple as just checking for one flag or two flags.

That said, I sure wouldn't mind if they applied some brainpower to this problem.  It'd probably alleviate the monsters glitching through solid walls, as well.
Blocks also have an associated collision shape. so if its solid, collisions will be checked against the collision shape.

Thorin

You sound like you've looked at the source code.  Maybe I should do that as well before further conjecturing on what they could / should change / fix :)
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful