Snapshot 12w22a "Adventure Mode"

Started by Lazybones, May 31, 2012, 09:18:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazybones

Holy crap the next update will be massive!

http://www.minecraftforum.net/news/513-snapshot-12w22a-ready-for-testing/

QuoteNew/Improved Features:

Trading with villagers has been updated
    Villagers can now trade 2 items with you (e.g. 1 emerald 10 gravel -> 10 flint)
    Enchantment system has been re-balanced
    A full enchantment table set with bookshelves doesn't go up to 50, but 30
    At the bottom of the 3 enchantments it always shows you the highest number possible
    Using level 30 you have a lot more luck; almost all items get at least 2 enchantments
    Emerald Ore can be found underground again (only in Extreme Mountain Biomes still)
    Added Tripwire Hooks
    Added potions to the creative inventory; found under brewing
    Added Block of Emerald
    Added delete item, armor and crafting to survival inventory when in creative
    Pausing should work in single-player now
    Some minor terrain changes
    Added an "adventure" game mode (/gamemode 2)
    - You cannot break or place any blocks
    - You can interact with any blocks like doors and levers and you can buy things from villagers
    Added cobblestone and stonebrick monster eggs to the creative inventory

Bug Fixes:

In the redstone tab of the creative inventory, the redstone torch is now on instead of being off
    In the decoration tab of the creative inventory, the redstone torch got removed

New Bugs:

You can place wire from the tripwire in the air and once updated it will drop string
    You can't hear TNT when you are out of an 16 block range.

Mr. Analog

It really is like a whole new game!!!

WOW!!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

That's not bad. I wonder if they'll allow adventure map creators to allow certain blocks to be dug. Many maps allow clay and such, or /important/ blocks to be mined.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Thorin

Apparently you get XP when you mine a block that drops a non-block (coal block that drops coal ore, for instance), and you get XP when you smelt a block like iron or item like raw steak.  Apparently also the max level has been dropped to 30.  So it's easier to get to max level, and takes less time.

I dunno if this'll improve or diminish the play experience.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

It will help me, I avoid fights, in fact when night comes that's usually when I go down pit and mine stuff.

I don't think I've been higher than lvl 22, and even then I didn't know how to enchant stuff so it was wasted (hit the ground too hard that time I think)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Quote from: Thorin on May 31, 2012, 10:06:46 AM
I dunno if this'll improve or diminish the play experience.

Face it the only way people would risk lvl 50 at the moment is building a mob grinder.... These changes make enchanting in line with NORMAL play.

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on May 31, 2012, 10:14:45 AM
It will help me, I avoid fights, in fact when night comes that's usually when I go down pit and mine stuff.

I don't think I've been higher than lvl 22, and even then I didn't know how to enchant stuff so it was wasted (hit the ground too hard that time I think)
I think if you're a bit careful, and have a full set of armor, its quite fun to go out bashing monsters. But you HAVE to keep an eye on your health or you die like I sometimes do :( one of my issues with playing games, I get caught in the moment :(

I like the enchantment changes, should make me want to enchant things more often.

Thorin

I just read that you can now place slabs in the upper half of their block area without having to have a block above them.  This would've shaved at least three hours off the time it took to put a pretty slab roof on my railway.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Thorin

Sounds like at the moment you can hit level 50 by hitting a decent number of coal seams, don't even have to "go below".  I like the suggestion of more rare ores giving more XP.

You're right that level 50 is usually acquired through XP farming (guess what I just built :P ).

Mr. A, I've seen you go out and bash baddies with me.  Although I'm a little braver, maybe, as I'm willing to run full speed through a gaggle of creepers...
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

Not saying I won't fight monsters but if given the choice I'd rather level up mining lol
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Did you know you can also now place steps upside down? Makes for nice trim around ceilings.

Thorin

Sweet!  So I wonder how long it'll be before this gets in an actual release?  I think we should wait for 1.3 to hit as there will (hopefully) be less bugs...
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Lazybones

Mr. Analog

Man, so much cool stuff!

I wonder when it will release
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Quote from: Mr. Analog on June 04, 2012, 01:54:34 PM
Man, so much cool stuff!

The jungle temples with arrow traps are also cool.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Lazybones on June 04, 2012, 02:00:18 PM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on June 04, 2012, 01:54:34 PM
Man, so much cool stuff!

The jungle temples with arrow traps are also cool.

Agreed! My Indiana Jones skin finally makes sense!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Hey, Mr. A, you mentioned something about chests that everyone can share...  Where did you find that?  I don't like the idea of having to carry six chests worth of loot to the community storage chests 800 blocks away as I'll have to take six trips.  Putting it in a community chest that anyone else anywhere else can open, that would be way cooler.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Lazybones

Ya the obsidian chest will require a bit to make but is linked... I didn't see the details on if it is global or per user or what. however...

Mr. Analog

It's part of the new snapshot (Enderman Chests)

I saw it on the YogsCast ep about the new snapshot
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Thorin

In snapshot 23, ender chests were changed - the inventory is now set to each player.  So you can build two ender chests, put stuff in one, and take that same stuff out of the other.  But you can no longer use it to instantly transfer goods to your friend half the world away.  So maybe that EnderStorage mod does make sense now (unless they change the ender chests again before 1.3 comes out).

Also, in snapshot 23 they changed the experience again.

So in 1.2.5, it took 1,725xp to get to level 30, then another 2,900xp on top of that to get to level 50 (the max).  Level 30 could be done in 60 to 75 minutes in a good mob xp grinder (granting 5xp per mob killed), level 50 could be done in 180 to 240 minutes.  That was a lot of time to invest in leveling.

In snapshot 22, it took 510xp to get to level 30 (the max).  Level 30 could be done in 15 to 20 minutes in a good mob xp grinder (again, 5xp per mob).  Snapshot 22 also introduced xp for mining ores - mining coal, diamond, redstone, or lapis lazuli would give you 3xp-9xp per block.  Given that when mining coal you don't need to wait for more mobs to show up, and given you needed to find 60 to 170 coal blocks to get to level 30, some people managed to get to level 30 in 10 minutes or less.  Now, they were looking specifically for coal at the common coal levels around 40+  and were hitting around 30% coal (of the total blocks they mined).  One guy said he did it with a single unenchanted iron pick in 9 minutes.

In snapshot 23, it now takes 825xp to get to level 30 (the max).  The xp per block doesn't appear to have changed, so this means you can still hit level 30 in 40 minutes without even really trying, or less than 20 minutes if you're actively seeking out coal.  Quite a change from 4 hours to max level now.

Expect to see _everyone_ with enchanted items in 1.3, unless they change that.  While I like that they provide xp for common activities like mining and smelting, I was pretty surprised at snapshot 22 and requiring only one-tenth the time and resources to get to maximum enchanting level.

Put another way, killing the Ender dragon (20,000xp) used to give enough xp to get to level 93 (1.86 max enchantments).  In snapshot 22, doing so gets you to level 1,176 (39.2 max enchantments).  I haven't done the math for snapshot 23, but I'm guessing it still gets you to level 400+ (13.33 max enchantments).

Maybe if they altered the formula for xp for blocks, giving more for the rarer blocks so that hunting for diamonds or gold is more worthwhile - as it stands in snapshot 23 you might as well just mine coal all day and you'll have so many levels available you can just enchant your stone tools and it won't feel like a waste.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

Dammit, I wanted a single community chest, that sucks.

Now one person is going to have to roam the land and craft chests if we all want to share stuff.

What a pain.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

No, worse, there is no way for us to share stuff through chests.  If you build an ender chest and I open it, I will not see what you put in it, I will only see what I've put in ender chests.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

LennyLen

QuoteSo in 1.2.5, it took 1,725xp to get to level 30, then another 2,900xp on top of that to get to level 50 (the max).

You can go beyond level 50 (I've been up to 60).  I think 50 is just the highest enchantment you can cast at any one time.

Thorin

Yeah I know, I was talking about the maximum level that enchantments can use.  When you go past 50 and enchant something, it will never cost you more than 50.  I've been up to 70 just to test that.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Melbosa

Quote from: Thorin on June 14, 2012, 04:18:44 PM
Yeah I know, I was talking about the maximum level that enchantments can use.  When you go past 50 and enchant something, it will never cost you more than 50.  I've been up to 70 just to test that.

That isn't exactly right.  You can get enchants at lvl 51 or 52... I've seen them as an option and even enchanted a pick-axe at lvl 51.  But I think those are rare occurances or glitches.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Thorin

Hmm, it's supposed to show the enchantment cost as the green number (that's how many levels you lose).  It then takes that enchant cost and treats it as the base enchantment level, then it modifies the actual enchantment level (for example, efficiency 5 isn't available until the modified enchantment level is at least 61).

So you saw the green number on one of the three slots on the enchantment table actually showing a 51 or 52?  If it happens again, take a snapshot.  Cuz that's probably a bug.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Thorin

Following the write-up at http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Enchantment_Mechanics, here's the highest you should be able to go:

bottom slot, 30 bookshelves around table: enchantment level available: (5 + (30/2) + 30) x 1 = 50

that's the base enchantment level, and how much it will cost you, and what the green number will say.

gold armor, base enchantment level 50: modified enchantment level = 50 + 25 + 1 = 76

gold armor, modified enchantment level 76, 25% increase in modified enchantment level: 76 x 1.25 = 95

But that modified enchantment level of 95 still costs you only 50 levels.  Oh, and according to http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Enchanting/Levels, that modified enchantment level of 95 on the armour would get you nothing (every armor enchantment tops out long before then).
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful