Mob spawning rate

Started by Thorin, September 06, 2012, 09:20:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

I wonder if that explains the problem with boats?
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on September 06, 2012, 02:02:49 PM
I wonder if that explains the problem with boats?
It's possible that the view distance stuff had something to do with it. If you cant see what you hit, or the game thinks it hit something because you hit /nothing/, then who knows. I actually turned it up to 12. forget 10. Forget 11! 12 is where its at.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Damn, now I wanna test it instead of doing work :P
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Tom

Quote from: Thorin on September 06, 2012, 02:34:19 PM
Damn, now I wanna test it instead of doing work :P
You're welcome.

Pants

I just walked around outside in the dark for about 5 minutes and found two mobs.

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on September 06, 2012, 03:44:29 PM
So back to normal-ish?
I'm more used to being inundated with mobs. So I'll try tweaking it some more after work.

Thorin

Two mobs in five minutes in the dark, as Pants reported, that's not normal yet.  If there were other people on, the mobs might have been spawning around them instead of around Pants, but still, even with four other people on, at night I would see at least a half-dozen mobs (skellies, zombies, and creeps) whenever I ventured outside.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Pants

Yeah, it's definitely not normal.

Pants

I just did a bunch of caving, and I only ran into like 3 mobs.

Pants

Quote from: Thorin on September 06, 2012, 10:11:55 AMIf you're talking about an xp farm built around a mob spawner found in a dungeon, well, that's using in-game elements to your advantage, not all that different from stripping all the rails out of an abandoned mine; it's not even taking advantage of a glitch or bug.

I'd just like to mention right now that I'm in the process of making some farms (not sure if they are going to be XP farms or just straight drop farms) based around some spawners I've found while caving.  Don't hate me for that.  I know that some people think using spawners for farms is cheating, but I'm on Thorin's side with this - it's using the in-game elements and rules.

I'd also really like to say that my first priority in making these spawner farms is to make them toggle-able so I can turn them off with the switch of a lever.   I know the havok that overrun mob spawners can wreak on a server and I'd never do that here.  Before I even started messing with the spawners I found, I went into singleplayer and worked up a way to stop mob spawning within a spawner chamber using Jack o' Lanterns and Pistons.

http://imgur.com/a/jFsdv

Going AFK for extended periods of time within range of a spawner is just assholeish behavior.  I'd never do that.

Thorin

With mob spawners, you don't need to have an on/off switch because they stop spawning as soon as your out of a pretty short range.  It's the dark room spawners where mobs will still spawn if you're six chunks away.  But hey, nice design to turn it off and on again, though!

If you're the only one on and you wanna sit and idle at an xp farm, there's nothing wrong with that.  Just check every few minutes to see if someone's logged on, and if they have, start killing monsters (you monster!).
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Tom

I disabled the spawning bits of nolagg, hopefully that helps. If it doesn't I'll try restarting the server to see if theres an issue where bukkit and or its plugins don't like to fully respect config changes on config reload.

Pants

Quote from: Thorin on September 06, 2012, 10:31:31 PM
It's the dark room spawners where mobs will still spawn if you're six chunks away.

Those mobs will instantly despawn if a player is more than 128 blocks away.

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Spawn#Despawning

QuoteA mob will immediately despawn if ever there is no player within 128 blocks of it.