crazy, crazy lag

Started by Thorin, July 27, 2013, 07:07:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thorin

We had a four-player Minecraft session with my fam-damily, all connected to Usamot.  We all had lag to various degrees, but YellowBear_ had it the worst.  I went into a house, she went into a house, more than two minutes later she saw me walk into the house in a rubber-bandy fashion.  Keep in mind that I walked in, then stood on a pressure plate for dogs to come in, looking down the whole time, then stepped off and stood still.  She saw me do all that, but with a two minute delay.

That's some serious, serious lag.

And I have no idea what the F is causing it :(  I tried restarting my modem/router several times, that didn't help.  I tried removing all unnecessary networked hardware and logging everyone off every computer except the users required for Minecraft, I shut down Plex and uTorrent and unplugged the Roku.  Nothing helped :(
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Tom

I just updated and rebooted my firewall. That may or may not help. Technically I both upgraded, and downgraded the system. older kernel with custom patch, and newer other packages.

It cut down cpu use, and it should be using hw interrupts better now. it could potentially have caused some issues.

Otherwise, my only guess is some shaw screw up.

Only thing I can do is try moving the server to "the cloud" and see how that does. Problem is, it won't have access to anywhere near as much memory. We can try it out for a while anyhow.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Tom

Ok, something was a bit odd with the server itself, I dunno what was going on, but its rebooting. there goes 31 days uptime :( *sniff*

It may be better when its back. lets hope.

Thorin

We can't reach the server at all now :(  I can ping tomasu.org no problem, but I can't connect to the server.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Tom

Quote from: Thorin on July 27, 2013, 07:43:17 PM
We can't reach the server at all now :(  I can ping tomasu.org no problem, but I can't connect to the server.
My bad. I accidentally hit Ctrl-C in the wrong tmux session :(

Tom

Oooohhh kaayyy.

Vanilla server's been cloudified. some things arent setup yet, like overviewer, and I'm not sure yet how I'm going to handle that. vm likely doesn't have enough memory/cpu to handle the mc server and overviewer. I may keep overviewer local, we'll see.

mc.tomasu.org now points to the new server and if you are still getting the old ip try mc.svc.tomasu.net

Thorin

Thank you Tom for moving it so that me and my family stop getting the crazy lag...
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Thorin

Hey, so...  How much do you have to pay to run your VM monthly?  How much more per month would it cost to make it beefy enough to run Overviewer as well?  I'd really like Overviewer to come back as it's nice to see builds, and I'm happy to chip in some cash since I use the server quite a bit.

Also, the drop to ten users at once is probably fine, I don't think we've ever seen that many online at once :)
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Tom

Quote from: Thorin on July 29, 2013, 04:02:48 PM
Hey, so...  How much do you have to pay to run your VM monthly?  How much more per month would it cost to make it beefy enough to run Overviewer as well?  I'd really like Overviewer to come back as it's nice to see builds, and I'm happy to chip in some cash since I use the server quite a bit.
It currently costs $12 usd/mo ($10 + 20% for automatic backups). The next plan up is $24 ($20 + 20%) and it doubles the ram, storage and adds a core.

I can probably run overviewer at home here, it will just take a bit longer to regen the map (not a lot though, have to rsync the map down, and rsync the overviewer map tiles up).

Quote from: Thorin on July 29, 2013, 04:02:48 PM
Also, the drop to ten users at once is probably fine, I don't think we've ever seen that many online at once :)
I'm not 100% sure the current vm is able to handle what we have right now. 10 users might be a bit much.

I saw it getting close to the max ram (including swap) yesterday, so I decreased the amount I gave to java to 768MB. That may or may not impact chunk loading. I might play with the amount of ram given to java over time. Fun Story, when I put it on the 512MB vm, I gave java 256MB ram, the system didn't have swap, and java ended up not only using more than 256MB ram, it ate up all system ram and the linux kernel killed java. I think on load, our map ends up needing over 700MB ram to get set up, it then drops to around 500MB after, but steadily rises as people play (I think, not sure where it'll top out).

So we may want to upgrade even if I run overviewer at home.

Thorin

What's the hosting company?

I'm willing to chip in for the $24/month plan.  2GB, 2 cores?  Sounds about minimum for a decent experience, I would think.  1GB and 1 core is lower power than the old, old machines I have sitting at home.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

So what exactly happened that started killing the other server?
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Thorin on July 29, 2013, 05:11:05 PM
What's the hosting company?
DigitalOcean.

Quote from: Thorin on July 29, 2013, 05:11:05 PM
I'm willing to chip in for the $24/month plan.  2GB, 2 cores?  Sounds about minimum for a decent experience, I would think.  1GB and 1 core is lower power than the old, old machines I have sitting at home.
The individual cores are likely beefier than the ones you have at home, and the bw makes a huge difference. The vm host has GbE connections to the internet, so there's LOTS of bw.

Quote from: Mr. Analog on July 29, 2013, 05:11:29 PM
So what exactly happened that started killing the other server?
I have absolutely no idea. It only happened to a few people. Not everyone that connected had issues. Due to how odd it was, I suspect shaw. but its theoretically possible it was my hardware or something eating up a lot of IO on the server. But I seriously doubt that's the case.

I had no problems what so ever on either vanilla or ftb. Two people in different states had issues on ftb, and a few people (including the Thorin'es) had issues with vanilla.

At some point I'll do some more testing. I have this "new" 2u server I picked up on ebay for like $200 (plus other incidentals like extra ram). When it's fully kitted out, it'll have 2 quad core xeons and 40GB DDR2 ECC ram.

If things start working again locally, I may move the server back.

Lazybones

I would suggest moving it to my server however my power or Internet go down for a few hours at a time every other month or so.

Tom

Shaw is rolling out a large upgrade to their network all over the place, so there's going to be issues. For now, I don't mind sticking it on a vm.

I'm probably moving most of my current hosting over to digital ocean as well.

Mr. Analog

Uhh, is the address different? Or is the server down?

nm found it
By Grabthar's Hammer