I kind of want to make a Parkour map

Started by Mr. Analog, August 01, 2013, 02:12:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

Over lunch I watched Diamonds in the Rough, which is currently focusing on Parkour maps... made me think how much I'd like to make a map using all the latest cool stuff.

Maybe themed on a certain game where you have to jump around rooftops
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Quote from: Mr. Analog on August 01, 2013, 02:12:39 PM
Over lunch I watched Diamonds in the Rough, which is currently focusing on Parkour maps... made me think how much I'd like to make a map using all the latest cool stuff.

Sounds interesting however min-crafts movement system i so limited... Sound more like you have a craving to play some Mirrors edge ;)

Thorin

Is it the jumping from rooftop to rooftop in interesting and difficult motions (jumps, rolls, slides), or is it the making of rooftops to jump between that you're really interested in?

Also, once horses get around you can make a horse jumping ring :)
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Lazybones on August 01, 2013, 02:18:38 PM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on August 01, 2013, 02:12:39 PM

Sounds interesting however min-crafts movement system i so limited... Sound more like you have a craving to play some Mirrors edge ;)

Well the interesting thing is making the jumps challenging but not impossible or using block behaviour in interesting ways (i.e. using doors and redstone to create random paths you have to jump over).

I kind of do want to go with a theme though rather than just a big open challenge, those add interesting story possibilities.

I'm really excited about all the changes that have come to the game in 1.6, particularly being able to add my own resources with the new mod pack system. I think it would be really interesting to try telling a simple story AND challenge players at the same time.

Quote from: Thorin on August 01, 2013, 02:54:59 PM
Is it the jumping from rooftop to rooftop in interesting and difficult motions (jumps, rolls, slides), or is it the making of rooftops to jump between that you're really interested in?

Also, once horses get around you can make a horse jumping ring :)

I kind of like the idea of both really, I want to build a vast city backdrop (I'm sure I'd be using MCEdit for that!) but then also integrate challenging minecraft parkour into it.

I also like the idea of command blocks that can define area effects, so to make something challenge there's an area where they are slowed (or quickened!), perhaps areas that can bestow super jump or fall damage reduction into the mix.

Obviously it would be a map set for peaceful (i.e. no enemies, set to midday at all times, etc)

It would give me a chance to design something in creative mode that other players could experience.
By Grabthar's Hammer