Scientists develop portable generator that turns trash into electricity

Started by Mr. Analog, February 07, 2007, 09:01:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

QuoteWEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. - A group of scientists have created a portable refinery that efficiently converts food, paper and plastic trash into electricity. The machine, designed for the U.S. military, would allow soldiers in the field to convert waste into power and could have widespread civilian applications in the future.

http://news.uns.purdue.edu/x/2007a/070201LadischBio.html

When I read this all I could think of was "Mr. Fusion" from Back to the Future II. Seriously though, this could be an importnat innovation for developing countries and farms.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Quote from: Mr. Analog on February 07, 2007, 09:01:32 AM
When I read this all I could think of was "Mr. Fusion" from Back to the Future II. Seriously though, this could be an importnat innovation for developing countries and farms.

LOL exactly, all I could think of was Doc dumping old Beer into the food processor looking thing on the car.

Thorin

That's a very impressive marvel of engineering.  I wonder how it separates organics from residual trash, they never said.  I suspect it's done by a person who is feeding the machine...
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Lazybones

Would be a popular alternative to a composite heap if you ask me, especially out at a vacation cabin or something, maybe even a camper accessory?

Tom

And here, I thought I was the only one who thought of Mr. Fusion  :D
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!