Waze: free turn by turn navigation software

Started by Lazybones, August 30, 2011, 10:29:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazybones

http://www.waze.com/

An interesting alternative to some of the other packages...
- Uses free government maps as a base instead of the big pay navteq maps
- Uses crowd sourced GPS data and community edits to correct and expand maps
- Has community and automatic traffic and hazard warnings reporting.

Hardly perfect but it is free to use.. the community warnings are really handy just to have running in the background to know about traffic up ahead or construction.

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Warning if you are a little OCD about incorrect navigation you may find your self spending hours tweaking and improving your local map...

Tom

I've been playing with the new google maps turn by turn support occasionally. Its pretty pointless for me though as the few places I go to, I either have no control over which turn to take, or I go a route that the maps can't seem to handle (walking paths/private sidewalks).
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Thorin

Quote from: Lazybones on August 30, 2011, 02:25:29 PM
Warning if you are a little OCD about incorrect navigation you may find your self spending hours tweaking and improving your local map...

I'll keep that in mind.  Others tell me I have OCD...
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Lazybones

Quote from: Thorin on September 01, 2011, 07:10:45 PM
Quote from: Lazybones on August 30, 2011, 02:25:29 PM

I'll keep that in mind.  Others tell me I have OCD...

Well I got hooked, started out fixing a few exchanges near my place that had changed in the last year then started to add some brand new roads that arnt on google or bing maps yet.

There is something cool about editing a map that others will use.

Due to errors however I would rang waze over all map quality a bit lower than traditional options.