Sick Computer

Started by Thorin, February 18, 2011, 07:22:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Melbosa

PS3MS is now a GUI Wizard installer, no need for command line stuffs.

TRANSCODING FROM THE COUCH:
So how it works is you open your video's folder (I usually have a folder per video, as you can have graphics and extras tied in), and then you see your video file and a folder called #TRANSCODE# along with other things that might exist in the same folder.  If your video doesn't play (throws a DNLA error or anything else), you stop the playback, go into the #TRANSCODE# folder and pick another video file (which are all representations of your video file with different transcode options).  Typically it only takes 1 or 2 tries and you are watching the video.

Again, no worries.  If you have any more questions, let me know.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Thorin

I have a dual-router network.  My original router is a D-Link DIR-625, which used to be connected to a Shaw cable modem.  With the switch to Telus, I got an Actiontec V1000H modem/router.  When they first installed it, it was easier to just run a network cable from the Actiontec to the D-Link, simply because of physical locations.  Also, that way I didn't have to mess with my router set-up, such as SSID name, MAC filtering list, etc.

The D-Link sits close to the computers, the Actiontec sits close to the TV.  I also have an Xbox sitting close to the TV, which used to connect to the D-Link through a long network cable.  However, I only have one cable long enough, and I switched that one over to run from the Actiontec to the D-Link.  To make do, I plugged the Xbox into the Actiontec, but now I couldn't stream video from the computers (on the D-Link) up to the Xbox (on the Actiontec), because the Xbox couldn't see any computers behind the D-Link router.

So, I figured out how to do MAC filtering on the Telus Actiontec V1000H modem/router - it's in a non-intuitive place under "Wireless Setup".  Got all the MAC addresses copied over, then turned on the wireless on the Actiontec and turned it off on the D-Link, then fix some issues like the Drobo suddenly not getting an IP address.  Then I had change the network cable coming from the Actiontec to the D-Link - it used to go into the D-Link's WAN port, now it had to go into a regular port.  This meant I had to unplug my little server, as I was out of WAN ports.

Finally, I tried Fuppes on the Drobo and lo and behold, I managed to watch a video from the Drobo on the Xbox!  Fuppes doesn't auto-update it's media store, though, and I found its web interface to be horrible.  So I ended up installing Tversity on one of the desktops.  Sure enough, I could see those videos, too!

So finally, my home network is back to the way it was six months ago, with video and audio streaming, except the files are now on a redundant storage mechanism.

Yay!  Yay!  Yay!

Although I should buy a 5-port gigabit switch so I can connect my server back up...
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Melbosa

Quote from: Thorin on July 25, 2011, 08:22:39 AM
Although I should buy a 5-port gigabit switch so I can connect my server back up...

I have 3 at home I don't use if you need one.

Thorin

Quote from: Melbosa on July 25, 2011, 08:26:58 AM
Quote from: Thorin on July 25, 2011, 08:22:39 AM

I have 3 at home I don't use if you need one.

Sure, although it might be more hassle to meet up than it is for me to run to MemEx and spend $20 to $30, given where we live and where we work...
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

Are you running a gigabit LAN? If not I have an 8 port bridge you can have.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

The Actiontec is a gigabit router.  The D-Link is not.  So at the moment, my Telus set-top boxes and my Xbox are connected to the Actiontec and are on a gigabit LAN, while my two desktop computers and Drobo are connected to the D-Link and are not on a gigabit LAN.

I want to change this - I want it all to run gigabit.  The desktops only have 100Mb network cards, so what I need is to replace my D-Link with a gigabit switch and then my desktops need gigabit cards.

That said, I have other plans for my setup, too.  More RAM in the desktops, SSDs in the desktops, things like that.  I'm even debating whether I really need/want a home server (it's got a loud fan!) now that I can't have it answer on port 80 anymore (Telus blocks port 80).

I'm just happy that my files are redundantly backed up while also being streamed to the Xbox.

Now we just need that next Doctor Who to come out!
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Lazybones

Quote from: Thorin on July 25, 2011, 10:25:39 AM
Now we just need that next Doctor Who to come out!

Torchwood is currently running FYI if you don't mind mature content.

Mr. Analog

Well, if you're in the office and I can figure out where I hid the switch I'll bring it in tomorrow

If you're really hard up though I have 2, 24 port switches you can borrow :D (kinda hard misplacing those suckers!)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

I've got a couple spare 10/100 switches. One 5 port, and one 8 port. I now have two GbE switches, so I really don't need the 100mb switches. Especially since my two wifi routers ALSO have switches on them (that I'm using, my main wifi ap's ports are almost full, as is the 8 port GbE switch beside it :-x).
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on July 25, 2011, 11:58:05 AM
I've got a couple spare 10/100 switches. One 5 port, and one 8 port. I now have two GbE switches, so I really don't need the 100mb switches. Especially since my two wifi routers ALSO have switches on them (that I'm using, my main wifi ap's ports are almost full, as is the 8 port GbE switch beside it :-x).

I know you're in a double-wide but TWO wireless access points? Isn't that a bit overkill? :D

(j/k)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on July 25, 2011, 12:02:37 PM
Quote from: Tom on July 25, 2011, 11:58:05 AM

I know you're in a double-wide but TWO wireless access points? Isn't that a bit overkill? :D

(j/k)
Heh. You'd think so, especially since my walls are 2x3 not 2x4. but my phone gets really @%&#ty reception in my room when my AP is in the living room. So I just plugged in my old AP in my room, and away I go. Been meaning to get around to terminating the Cat5e line running to my room. (p.s. I'm not in a double wide ;))

Thorin

Lazy: I tried watching Torchwood, but I just couldn't get into it.  And I don't want it on with the five year old watching, he's just not there yet.  Maybe we'll just have to watch some classic Tom Baker.

Mr. A: Thanks.  Not to look a gift horse in the mouth, but I'm only interested if it's a gigabit switch.  And no, I don't need a 24 port switch :P

Tom: Just use your rotary phone!  Yes, really, he's still got a rotary hooked up and usable!  'twere hilarious to hear when I picked him up for D&D last time, that classic ringer.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Melbosa

If you want we can meet for lunch someday this week and I can get it to you then.  The ones I have are 8 Ports I think... D-Links.

Tom

Quote from: Thorin on July 25, 2011, 01:18:20 PM
Lazy: I tried watching Torchwood, but I just couldn't get into it.  And I don't want it on with the five year old watching, he's just not there yet.  Maybe we'll just have to watch some classic Tom Baker.

Mr. A: Thanks.  Not to look a gift horse in the mouth, but I'm only interested if it's a gigabit switch.  And no, I don't need a 24 port switch :P

Tom: Just use your rotary phone!  Yes, really, he's still got a rotary hooked up and usable!  'twere hilarious to hear when I picked him up for D&D last time, that classic ringer.
Heh yeah. Its awesome. At some point I want to make a pulse->tone adapter for it. so I can actually dial out with it.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on July 25, 2011, 02:38:59 PM
Quote from: Thorin on July 25, 2011, 01:18:20 PM

Heh yeah. Its awesome. At some point I want to make a pulse->tone adapter for it. so I can actually dial out with it.

Tom,

Ehrm, pulse dialing still works on the Telus network.

Or are you on VOIP? I can't remember.

I'm using a Northern Electric 500 Series with the bells disabled.

Thorin,

When you do finally go all Gigabit if your router has a setting between auto-detect or specifically Gigabit, select Gigabit. I made this change and it seems like there is less discovery time for devices.
By Grabthar's Hammer