Minecraft is awesome but just not for me!

Started by Darren Dirt, May 16, 2012, 08:22:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Thorin on May 15, 2012, 11:09:37 PM
Quote from: Darren Dirt on May 15, 2012, 04:15:57 PM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on May 15, 2012, 09:10:58 AM
Well, better late than never :D
^ I'm still spelling my Minecraft decision as "NEVER", fyi -- not "late" ;)

A post clearly responding to the previous post, in a forum for a game you say you're not interested in, and yet you interpret it as intended for you...  Darren, your math appears wrong, 1 plus 4 does not equal 23.  Also, this ain't the Youtube commenting section so maybe the completely-unrelated-post should probably be avoided.

Seriously.  I mean, if you're interested, great, but if you're not interested and just trying to stir up posts, isn't that the definition of trolling?  And if you're trolling here, aren't you trolling friends?  And if you're trolling friends, aren't you really just saying you don't consider them friends?

Not trolling, just being stupid and 'performing'.

I guess I feel like a Football Widow.

There I said it.

Srsly, somebody ban me from the entire Minecraft section of the forum. If it means days or even weeks go by without me 'hearing' the voice of my friends then so be it.

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Lazybones

of my last 10 posts half have been in other topics. You make is sounds like we have stopped posting in other forums.

Also we are hitting the summer slowdown where everyone has better things to do in the evening than post...

Unlike my self you at least have the option of meeting for lunch, going to movies and BBQs. How do you think I feel on slow post days?

Try and setup a lunch time or something than works for you and just hang out and vent.

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Lazybones on May 16, 2012, 08:39:07 AM
of my last 10 posts half have been in other topics. You make is sounds like we have stopped posting in other forums.

Was just venting in generalities, bro -- nobody specific came to mind, just overall feel like I'm the only without a brain slug (or the David Cross tentacle thingie) and by now I woulda joined in if I will ever join in. Clicking "recent posts" and sometimes seeing 2 full pages of posts all within the Minecraft subforum = what led me to this thread. No offense intended for anybody, just expressing my feelings. And also want to apologize for semi-trolling over the last few weeks in knee-jerk-response to interesting phrases or ideas discussed in MC threads, I definitely need to work on self-control I guess :(

Have fun in MCworld folks -- I mean it. Just won't be there with you. #finewiththat

Lazybones

I have offered to make it possible to filter out the posts.... If it really bothers you....

Mr. Analog

Well, I don't know what to say Darren. If you feel excluded, that was your choice.

Anyway, it's just a game, and as Lazy pointed out it's not as if we haven't been posting in other threads...

:shrug:
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

no biggie bro and the rest of you -- I be hatin' the game not the playahs. (yo)

and not really hatin' either -- just really got y'all hooked (and thus over 75% of forum posts are within the MC subforum -- hence my joking thread title here btw) ... but as for me, I got such a full time schedule in my life now (been 3.5 weeks and counting having all 3 of my kids at my crib every day!) that I ain't even playing CoH anymore, except maybe a quick 20 minute mission then I'm out and back into RL. So quite glad that for MC I didn't "give it a quick try" ... who knows how much more sleep-deprived I'd be now!

Dirtman out, no more MC subforum lurkin' for me mkay?

Mr. Analog

PONIES
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Top 10 posts with that "better late than never" post as #1:

Minecraft Overviewer, Minecraft Overviewer, SNL 100th Digital Short, Avengers, Avengers, Avengers, Avengers, Avengers, Avengers, Avengers

You really felt like everyone was ignoring you for the sake of _Minecraft_?  Seems to me Avengers was way more important that day, and you certainly weren't being ignored in it.

So re-reading the original post in this thread, it sounds like you miss chatting with people about something you're interested in (because you're not interested in what the group is interested in).  Purposefully trying to derail a conversation doesn't _help_ that.  Starting a different conversation about something you _are_ interested in will help that.

Quote from: Darren Dirt on May 16, 2012, 02:30:48 PM
over 75% of forum posts are within the MC subforum

Went back over the last 94 recent posts before that one (recent posts only shows 100, and only 94 of them were before that post).  36 posts in Minecraft, including 12 related to your initial derailing post in the Minecraft Overviewer thread.  So really, 24 posts on-topic out of 94.  That's 25.5%.  You know what I noticed, though?  Avengers talk and DDRescue talk showed up lots, too.  Why not hate on Avengers-watchers?  Or disk-saving attempts?

Quote from: Darren Dirt on May 16, 2012, 02:30:48 PM
Dirtman out, no more MC subforum lurkin' for me mkay?

Lurk all you want, read the posts, hell, join in the conversation in a meaningful way - that's how I've learned lots about things I wouldn't normally read about (like comics or Linux).  Just, in a thread talking about a specific tool for a specific game, don't try to take it completely off the rails on some other direction that has _nothing_ to do with that tool.  Maybe that's normal in Youtube comments, but this is not Youtube.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

Thorin, awesome post.

I'm-a go back and err, edit my previous rant, it was uncalled for.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

oops I wrote over my own post via Modify, instead of clicking Reply. #grumblegrumblemornings

Darren Dirt

Minecraft is a fun game but I'm just not that into it, so seriously can one of you 2 mods (Mr. Analog, Tom) in this subforum please add me to the exclude list? Or is it a technical impossibility (unlike the "Edmonton and Area" subforum) ?

Thanks.

(this will be the only MC thread I will be posting in...)

Lazybones

Quote from: Darren Dirt on May 17, 2012, 07:13:29 AM
Minecraft is a fun game but I'm just not that into it, so seriously can one of you 2 mods (Mr. Analog, Tom) in this subforum please add me to the exclude list? Or is it a technical impossibility (unlike the "Edmonton and Area" subforum) ?

Thanks.

(this will be the only MC thread I will be posting in...)

I took a quick look yesterday and I am not sure the forum supports subtractive rules.... So I will need to consider how the groups get organized to do it gracefully..

Melbosa

Basically its an opt-in system not a opt-out.  So we would have to remove all access to the forum section, create a group and give it rights to see.  Then add people to group.

Can't do it by post either, only by topic (forum).

Do you really want to be removed?

This also means the general public will not be able to see this forum, nor will the search bots.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Mr. Analog

This might be tricky for some friends I've invited as they look at our screenshots and stuff...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Quote from: Melbosa on May 17, 2012, 08:37:36 AM
Basically its an opt-in system not a opt-out.  So we would have to remove all access to the forum section, create a group and give it rights to see.  Then add people to group.

Can't do it by post either, only by topic (forum).

Do you really want to be removed?

This also means the general public will not be able to see this forum, nor will the search bots.

I am not 100% sure that is the only option, it might be possible to create a new base group that doesn't have access to the sub forum and change a user to use that group only instead of the default base group...

Again, I didn't look at it too long, I have been very busy.