Main Menu

BlueMap

Started by Lazybones, June 13, 2023, 03:02:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazybones

https://bluemap.bluecolored.de/

BlueMap works substantially differently than Overviewer just creating a thread here to chat about it, some tips, maybe discuss changes.

BlueMap also supports its own addons https://bluemap.bluecolored.de/community/3rdPartySupport.html

One big thing to know is that a lot of the work is done client side for rendering. So you can adjust your own render distance ETC to improve things if your system can handle it.

I find with the VERY large builds on our server that a detailed render distance of 200 works better than 100 as you have to zoom out a way to get some of the builds fully in view.

Mr. Analog

There's also a flat view if the 3d is too much. I like both modes
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

I am looking into how the markers work.. It doesn't look like I can convert our current POI signs but there is a mod bluemapsignmarkers for BlueMap that adds signs, it just uses more specific syntax for the signs.

There is also another mod that adds advanced marker commands for users / mods to use in game but it seems a bit complicated to use.

Haven't figured out if there is a way for me to do special cave / underground renders or a better neither render with some blocks ignored.

Lazybones

hmm might need to do more reading / mess with this for caves https://bluemap.bluecolored.de/community/CaveRendering.html

Mr. Analog

I am amazed at how quickly this map updates.  I could see the results of my builds almost in real time
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

It is much more efficient because it is running as a mod plugin with fabric and gets triggered with every map update.

Overviewer just scanned all the map files for changes on a schedule which got slower as the map got bigger.

Thorin

Quote from: Mr. Analog on June 13, 2023, 03:36:24 PMThere's also a flat view if the 3d is too much. I like both modes

Have you tried the third mode, where you can fly around and through structures as if you were actually in the world?  It's the icon that looks like a person, right beside the 3D and Flat icons.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Thorin on June 15, 2023, 05:23:48 PM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on June 13, 2023, 03:36:24 PMThere's also a flat view if the 3d is too much. I like both modes

Have you tried the third mode, where you can fly around and through structures as if you were actually in the world?  It's the icon that looks like a person, right beside the 3D and Flat icons.

Yes! I kinda love everything about this. I saw Tomasu82 moving around in my house in near real time today from the overhead view. It's pretty nice
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Lazy, did you intentionally cut off the top part of the Nether map where all our pathways are?
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Lazybones

Quote from: Thorin on June 15, 2023, 05:34:07 PMLazy, did you intentionally cut off the top part of the Nether map where all our pathways are?

BlueMap does not currently have a nether rendering mode like Overviewer.. I have opened a ticket and the dev seems to be interested.

It works a bit differently since it is an actual 3d render not a 2D isometric snapshot but the dev was able to approximate the effect where overviewer removes all material attached to the nether ceiling.

For now you will have to find an opening and fly in there, but it kind of sucks..

There is a BM option to make everything transparent at a fixed y height but it kind looks bad.

Lazybones

So even stranger the defaults for BM had a hard y height set as a default which I have changed to a hard cut at 120 so our paths are visible but I still don't like this render mode vs the overviewer one.

Thorin

It's definitely better than it was before, though, at least we can see an top-down view of our pathing.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Lazybones

Quote from: Thorin on June 17, 2023, 05:18:00 PMIt's definitely better than it was before, though, at least we can see an top-down view of our pathing.

I have added another render that clips the walls, this is bluemaps default solution but I don't like it as much as Overviewers.