"Beastius" -- like Yahtzee, but reviewing movies instead of games

Started by Darren Dirt, January 08, 2009, 04:44:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Dirt

Indy 4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXByv20Zj0U

9 other reviews (so far)
http://www.youtube.com/user/BeastiusReviews

This guy, and of course the "Spill.com" guys = pretty much the only movie reviews you'll ever need (cuz they don't take themselves -- or the movies -- too seriously)

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Darren Dirt

his Cloverfield review is especially good (and a few frames need to be paused or you'll miss the joke -- especially the "not so scary" Spiderman 3 jab. And the Michael Scott reference, always good for a guilty, low-brow chuckle.)

Mr. Analog

Regarding Yahtzee, making fun of video games is like shooting fish in a barrel. Lately the "reviews" (and I use quotations because, lets face it, the video reviews are more like "@%&# Yahtzee really hates or likes in general but this week it's directed at 'Game X'") have not been that great. Yes the requisite smuttery abounds, yes the acerbic and humorous narration persists, yes the funny little doodles are still there and yet something is missing.

I haven't quite decided if it's the novelty of Yahtzee and his writers that has worn off or if it's the quality or choice of games reviewed lately but it seems like there is something missing. I haven't quite nailed down what's wrong yet because like most people I enjoy it for the cheap fun it is (HUR-HUR).

I haven't checked out your link yet Darren because of the reviews you had selected as examples aren't that current or blood-boiling, I'll check the site out hoping for a review of the abysmally bad remake of "The Day the Earth Stood Still" but otherwise if he is just a Yahtzee imitator I'm probably going to start irrationally hating him for no good reason.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

He's only done 10 so far, since like Sept. 2008 -- 2 of them were Craig-Bond #1 and #2 (loved #1 for its uniqueness among the Bond franchise, thus was disappointed that #2 was more of the old-style)

His Indy 4 review was bang-on, and the "thought bubbles" made me think of Yahtzee (his probable inspiration to do similar for movies).

And hey maybe Yahtzee has good things going on his non-work life so it's filtering through in his reviews, maybe he's finding it hard to be quite so negative ;)

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Darren Dirt on January 09, 2009, 01:49:43 PMAnd hey maybe Yahtzee has good things going on his non-work life so it's filtering through in his reviews, maybe he's finding it hard to be quite so negative ;)

From what I gather he is an antisocial, closeted /b/ troller what can deliver the funny when and where required :D

I saw his latest project over the holidays. A bunch of his friends trying to put together a games review TV program (think The Electric Playground but with Aussies instead of Canadians). In a word? "Awful" (though boring comes to mind as well).

Oh, I'm such a bitter husk of a person...
By Grabthar's Hammer