Drobo FS died, looking for another and drives

Started by Thorin, June 19, 2019, 10:29:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thorin

Yeah, I have one or two old ones that I pulled because they were failing, I definitely don't want to use those, so thanks for checking your drives for me.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Thorin

Went out and bought three 6TB WD Red drives today, $214.99 each from MemEx, so $677.22 with tax.  Also, Amazon now shows a delivery date for the Drobo 5N2 that I ordered for $649.99, $682.49 after tax, and it has a Fedex tracking number and that number actually shows them receiving the package in Brampton.  This time next week, I hope to have a functioning Drobo with all files back!  Only cost $1,359.71...
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Tom

Quote from: Thorin on June 28, 2019, 07:53:24 PM
Went out and bought three 6TB WD Red drives today, $214.99 each from MemEx, so $677.22 with tax.  Also, Amazon now shows a delivery date for the Drobo 5N2 that I ordered for $649.99, $682.49 after tax, and it has a Fedex tracking number and that number actually shows them receiving the package in Brampton.  This time next week, I hope to have a functioning Drobo with all files back!  Only cost $1,359.71...
:(

Not cheap. Reminds me of how much I spent on the 5TB drives I have. Though it was a good sale and they are wd black's. Great drives though.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Thorin

Yup, I remember when we all bought the WD Black 5TB, it's what was in my Drobo. They were an excellent price at the time, now you can't find them anymore - it's either 4TB or 6TB.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Lazybones

I have 3x Seagate IronWolf 8TB (ST8000VN0022) purchased in 2017 in my Synology still, paid $319.99 (currently $308.99 $38.6/TB) each from newegg.ca that was $ 40/TB

6 TB REDs at $214.99 is $35.8 TB that is a good deal

Interestingly the Seagate IronWolf 16TB  (ST16000VN001) is currently $768 each on newegg.ca $48/TB. I only mention this as I could today do a RAID 1 mirror with just two of these drives and have the same capacity as my 3 drive RAID 5 (yes I know RAID 5 is a bad idea at that size).

Its constantly amazing how much storage keeps growing in density.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Lazybones on June 29, 2019, 04:11:43 PM

Quoted for truth!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

The new Drobo 5N2 arrived today, and of course I've been dragging my feet on starting the disk copying, so I need to start that tonight and hopefully in a few days I'll have a full cloned set to put into the new Drobo.  And I'm going to double and triple and quadruple check that I'm copying _from_ the source disk not _to_ it.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

Good luck my friend

By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on June 29, 2019, 04:15:02 PM

Quoted for truth!

Also amazing: size/usage changes in just 7 years...

Quote from: Melbosa on May 14, 2012, 11:38:35 AM
Going from a 500GB to a 300GB, with only 35GBs of data *including the HP Image stuff at 13GB.

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Tom

Quote from: Darren Dirt on July 05, 2019, 01:04:56 PM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on June 29, 2019, 04:15:02 PM

Quoted for truth!

Also amazing: size/usage changes in just 7 years...

Quote from: Melbosa on May 14, 2012, 11:38:35 AM
Going from a 500GB to a 300GB, with only 35GBs of data *including the HP Image stuff at 13GB.

Considering you can get 512GB miro sd cards now and micron has released a 1TB micro sd card, yeah. things sure change.

Tom

Just did a brief check of one 3TB, it seems to have low start-stop count and no reallocated sectors. so it should be pretty good. would you need more than one?

Thorin

I need two drives, I may have good drives still sitting here, and I'll need them for a couple of weeks and can then bring them back.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Tom

Quote from: Thorin on July 05, 2019, 01:47:22 PM
I need two drives, I may have good drives still sitting here, and I'll need them for a couple of weeks and can then bring them back.
Ok, no probs. Just was wondering if I had to test another drive. I was going to run a long smart check on the one drive but it wants to take 5 hours and I don't have a spare port. so no long test.

Thorin

This is not going well.

I cloned three 5TB WD Blacks to three 6TB WD Reds, and two 1TB WD Blacks to two 3TB Seagates.  I connected the new Drobo 5N2 to the network, plugged it in, and started it up (empty at this point).  Drobo Dashboard found it and I installed the latest firmware.  I shut down the 5N2 and installed the five cloned drives, then started it up.

It was stuck on red lights and saying that it was starting up for 15 to 20 minutes, so I shut it down, as the sparse documentation and videos out there show that it shouldn't be more than a few minutes before green lights.  I connected the 5N2's power supply to the old Drobo FS after checking outputs and polarity, and it started up.

So I shut it back down and put my five clones into the old FS, which should work, right?  Nope, I get told too many disks have been removed!  I think but cannot prove that the 5N2 for whatever reason started formatting the clones.

I'm kinda thinking of putting the originals into the FS, but I'm absolutely scared to do anything with the originals for fear of losing the data.

This sucks.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful