Dissapoining research....

Started by Tom, July 23, 2019, 12:58:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

So I have this big research task @ work. a large part of it is what software to use (and how) for managing the code, tasks, issues, time tracking etc.

I thought I found something super awesome that seemed to integrate a large chunk of the features we need and want. Turns out Not so much. Went to the trouble of firing up a VM, installing it and testing it out. Unfortunately its git support is provided a plugin that appears to be broken.

So disappointed.

I suppose I /could/ try and ask the project about it, but if it doesn't just work out of the box I'm pretty sure it's not worth bothering with.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Melbosa

Sometimes that is how it goes unfortunately...
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Tom

Yeah. I was just annoyed and needed to rant a bit. lol.

Thorin

What software were you researching?

I've always wanted to try working with FogBugz, but never convinced an employer to pay for it. I followed the development blog when it first got started and really liked how things progressed and what decisions were made while it was under development.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Thorin on July 23, 2019, 09:46:36 PM

I've always wanted to try working with FogBugz, but never convinced an employer to pay for it. I followed the development blog when it first got started and really liked how things progressed and what decisions were made while it was under development.

Fog
Bugz
Fog
Fog
Bugz
Fog
FogBugz

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Thorin

Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Thorin on July 23, 2019, 09:46:36 PM

The one I was dissapointed over is called Tuleap. Looks super slick and the features list checks off a lot of things we want in project management and development. Turns out.. its probably a bit half baked.

Darren Dirt

FogBugz sounded too much like FizzBuzz I couldn't resist :-)

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Tom

I had looked at FogBugz briefly a while ago, it didn't look like they had onprem support but apparently they do! but it's in that "if you have to ask the price, you can't afford it" type of category. In fact its only listed in a faq and not as an actual product that i can find on their website. Its a bit strange, but I suppose they want to push the subscription model.
Also it appears it doesn't integrate with their own revision control interface when its self hosted for some reason, where as their cloud version does?

This has been an interesting project, even if I haven't been able to actually concentrate on it.

The actual task i was given was "put together a plan for our entire workflow kthx."

I'm learning I'm not the greatest with open ended research tasks like this.