I love hardware!

Started by Tom, May 03, 2007, 03:26:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

You'll never guess. But that brand new 320GB Seagate I just got as a replacement for the brand new one I get last week, just died!

I think now its the motherboard, or the PSU. Brand new motherboard, so it might be the psu. Guh.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Thorin

Have you done a thorough investigation into how hot the inside of your case is?  Because heat kills hard drives.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Lazybones

You seem to have the touch of death for hard drives man.

Tom

QuoteHave you done a thorough investigation into how hot the inside of your case is?  Because heat kills hard drives.

Yeah. Thats what I thought it might have been the last time around, but now I have one of the loudest fans know to man blowing air over all the harddrives, and they barely even feel warm.

Also, google's report said that cold was a bigger problem than hot was. (especially if it goes from cold to warm to cold to warm..)

QuoteYou seem to have the touch of death for hard drives man.
Don't I know it. But this time I'm pretty sure the hardware is fine. All thats left is a bad batch of harddrives.

Cova

Well - computer parts do typically die early or last a very long time, depending on whether the failure is caused by a defect in production or just wear.  Sounds like you found a defective one this time - probably something slightly out of spec that passed initial testing but didn't last much longer.

Tom

Yeah. Though having two fail, in as many weeks, makes me wonder.. But then again, if it was the motherboard, or the PSU, other parts would have gone bad as well I'd think. 2 in two weeks.

Mags

Had a simular problem with some WD drives I got from Best computers. Turned out according to WD that Best dropped the box from a very HIGH hight and damaged the whole case of them, yet kept selling them.
"Bleed all over them, let them know you're there!"

Tom

I'm going to get all angsty for a moment ;)

<Angst>But Why ME?????@@@!@!!@!@!!@</Angst>

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

I'll sell you my luck for $50,000! ;)

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on May 03, 2007, 04:35:20 PM
I'll sell you my luck for $50,000! ;)

Darn! I would have but I just spent $50 K on a mere shelter...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

QuoteDarn! I would have but I just spent $50 K on a mere shelter...
Doh!

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Tom on May 03, 2007, 04:11:49 PM
I'm going to get all angsty for a moment ;)

<Angst>But Why ME?????@@@!@!!@!@!!@</Angst>

I had 2 IBM "DeathStar" drives (yes, they were 75GXP!) almost a decade ago, had them for almost 3 years.

NEITHER of them croaked on me.

So I guess your "luck" is how the STHC* balances itself out? ;)

lol this is funny stuff: http://www-03.ibm.com/press/us/en/pressrelease/1826.wss
These are the first IBM desktop drives to use glass disk platters instead of aluminum. The smoother and more rigid glass disks allow the recording head to read smaller bits of information that are packed more closely together. In addition, glass disks are more stable at higher speeds...

- - -

*STHC=Space-Time-Hardware Continuum

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

I guess usage might be a factor. I know with the "Deathstars" they were only rated for a few hours a day or some load of crap...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

u know me... lazy, kept my PC running 24/7, pretty much only shutting down when rebooting for updates etc.

Just think it was funny I never lost any data with those lemons :o

Strive for progress. Not perfection.