Digital camera reccomendations?

Started by Tom, January 30, 2010, 05:52:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

Seeing as I'm going to take somewhat of an extended "working" holiday in a couple weeks, I figured it was as good a time as any to finally get a new camera to replace the old one I had that got stolen 4+ years ago.

I don't have too many requirements. Something that I can hold fairly steady (no super tiny and light cameras), auto stabilization might be a nice bonus, should not use proprietary memory formats (no memory stick thanks ;)), as for the MPix, I really don't care, so long as it takes good pictures. It MUST however take GOOD low light pictures. I figure I can spend about $200-250, but less would be nice ;) plenty of good optical zoom would be nice too.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Heh, listen to da man, he takes beautiful pictures :)

I can't find the Nikon Powershot on Nikon's site.  You don't mean the Canon Powershot, do you?
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Tom

I'm assuming he was making two suggestions. Nikon, or PowerShots. A lot of people seem to be in favor of the PowerShots, but I'm interested in low light, and even night photography, and not many relatively inexpensive PowerShots have good enough low light capabilities :( I was thinking about getting a PowerShot SX120 IS, but it seems it has a really tiny sensor, and thus takes horrible low light/night pictures :(

Someone on dpreview suggested a Fuji's F200EXR, which seems like it might be a good option. Has a larger sensor, and supports an interesting mode where it'll use half the sensor to either increase the dynamic range, or the quality of low light (and higher ISO) pictures.

Mr. Analog

Sorry, I had "Powershot" on the brain (found the instructions for my parent's Powershot while I was cleaning up the house).

Nikon CoolPix is where you'll want to start looking. They offer a range of features at various price points that will likely fill your needs. Canon is also a good brand. Stay away from Sony though, you'll pay more and end up with only marginal benefits. Best thing to do is research the cameras online for features and ease of use and then check pricing at places like McBain or MemEx.

Disposable cameras are also quite handy for vacation snaps, don't be afraid of using those. They have a fixed focal length which is great for scenery or group photos (also, no worries losing it or having it stolen).

Finally for steadiness issues it's all about grip and stance (unless you want to buy/haul around a monopod). I can give you some tips on Thursday if you like.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on February 01, 2010, 03:33:45 PM
Sorry, I had "Powershot" on the brain (found the instructions for my parent's Powershot while I was cleaning up the house).

Nikon CoolPix is where you'll want to start looking. They offer a range of features at various price points that will likely fill your needs. Canon is also a good brand. Stay away from Sony though, you'll pay more and end up with only marginal benefits. Best thing to do is research the cameras online for features and ease of use and then check pricing at places like McBain or MemEx.

Disposable cameras are also quite handy for vacation snaps, don't be afraid of using those. They have a fixed focal length which is great for scenery or group photos (also, no worries losing it or having it stolen).

Finally for steadiness issues it's all about grip and stance (unless you want to buy/haul around a monopod). I can give you some tips on Thursday if you like.
Please do. But so far I'm not sure theres a /better/ camera for what I want to do than the F200EXR. The quality of the night shots is rather good, very little noise. But I'm still open for suggestions, already flip flopped a few times ;D a few more can't hurt.

Lazybones

- Get one with a REAL rechargeable battery and verify that it lasts a long time... (I seem to recall your last one eating batteries)
- Anti shake and face detection are really common and nice features.

Tom

Quote from: Lazybones on February 01, 2010, 03:44:55 PM
- Get one with a REAL rechargeable battery and verify that it lasts a long time... (I seem to recall your last one eating batteries)
- Anti shake and face detection are really common and nice features.
Yeah, regular alkaline batteries in my old Samsung were eaten up pretty quickly if you forgot to turn off the flash and one other feature that I cant exactly remember what it did (other than drain the battery).

But yeah, anti-shake or auto stabalization is something I've been looking for. doesn't really make sense to get a camera without it even if you're only spending even $150 these days.

Melbosa

Maria and I both own one of these: http://www.nikon.ca/en/Product.aspx?m=16685 (CoolPix L20).

Because we wanted sturdy, good MP, good sport picture settings, good anti-shake/stabilizing, compact and takes batteries this is the choice we went with.  We wanted battery operated as we just buy Kirkland batteries, and they last a long time.  Easier to carry a bunch of those, or alkaline AAs or buy them on the fly if we need when we have dead batteries, than remembering to always have a spare battery on us and charged.

I really want a D90: http://www.nikon.ca/en/Product.aspx?m=17090, but don't have $$$
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!