Free Image Programs

Started by Melbosa, January 12, 2012, 01:41:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Melbosa

I know a lot of us take photos and from time to time want to edit them.  Figured I'd start a thread with photo editing software that is free.

Paint.NET - Haven't used this myself, but I know some people have and like it cause it works with Windows and .NET Framework really well and is fairly easy to use.

GIMP - A couple of us use this in the office, and is open source.  Development does move on this one, almost monthly for the last little bit.  More complex and more options, but definitely not a Photoshop replacement.

Know of any others?
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Mr. Analog

SAI: Free Paint Tool SAI, features comperable to Illustrator/Photoshop, tablet support.

Inkscape:  An Open Source vector graphics editor, with capabilities similar to Illustrator, CorelDraw, or Xara X, using the W3C standard Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG) file format.

Animation Tools:

Pencil: Pencil is an animation/drawing software for Mac OS X, Windows, and Linux. It lets you create traditional hand-drawn animation (cartoon) using both bitmap and vector graphics. Pencil is free and open source.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

irfanview - image viewer that supports a lot of formats, also has bulk image re-size/format change features.

Tom

Krita - Krita is a KDE program for sketching and painting, offering an end?to?end solution for creating digital painting files from scratch by masters. Fields of painting that Krita explicitly supports are concept art, creation of comics and textures for rendering. Modelled on existing real-world painting materials and workflows, Krita supports creative working by getting out of the way and with snappy response.
(that's from the krita page)

Windows installer
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Melbosa

So in Office 2013 Microsoft removed the Office Picture Manager tool.  So in the future, being that the Live version and also the Photo Editor in Windows 8 are more limited, you will need to use applications like the above more often.  Just food for thought if you live in a corporate Microsoft World.

Melbosa

Melbosa

Tom

I've really only used the web and android interfaces.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Thorin

We used to use Picasa all the time at my house.  I don't know if that's changed.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

Played around with Picasa, it's good in a pinch
By Grabthar's Hammer