Open Source Workflow Applications

Started by Bixby, May 10, 2012, 12:11:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bixby

Does anyone here know of a good open source workflow application? I want to introduce workflow to a couple of our company processes. One of the key drivers is to show how paperwork and approvals move (or don't move) through the organization. A good workflow app would report on stuff in process along with where it sits. Also, it would be great to get metrics on how long stuff sits in each department before it moves along.

Thanks in advance for any insights or clarity you can provide...
Matt

Mr. Analog

There's a Workflow Module for Dupal, I haven't used it myself but from what I've heard it's pretty decent...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Bixby

Thanks. I will give that a look. Any idea what it is called?

Mr. Analog

This should help...
http://drupal.org/project/workflow_extensions

It's been a while since I looked into Workflow, I'm sure there's better OSS stuff out there.

There are quite a few workflow engines compatible with Apache as well, though most of the ones I remember were solidly in Java-land
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Bixby on May 10, 2012, 12:11:54 PM
Does anyone here know of a good open source workflow application? I want to introduce workflow to a couple of our company processes.

3x5 cards and felt markers = open source :)

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Melbosa

Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Darren Dirt on May 10, 2012, 01:16:28 PM
Quote from: Bixby on May 10, 2012, 12:11:54 PM
Does anyone here know of a good open source workflow application? I want to introduce workflow to a couple of our company processes.

3x5 cards and felt markers = open source :)

LOL reminds me of that old CFB cartoon "Blackberry Jam" where the computer turned out to be a little old man.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Quote from: Mr. Analog on May 10, 2012, 01:51:10 PM
LOL reminds me of that old CFB cartoon "Blackberry Jam" where the computer turned out to be a little old man.
HEHE  "Jonathan Cleaned Up - Then He Heard a Sound: or Blackberry Subway Jam"

Mr. Analog

Haha, you got it :D

Man, does the CFB still do animation projects like that I wonder?
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Quote from: Mr. Analog on May 10, 2012, 02:33:59 PM
Haha, you got it :D

Man, does the CFB still do animation projects like that I wonder?

Probably a topic for another thread... related you can watch A Bunch of Munsch on Netflix if you like his stuff.

As for workflow tools all the ones I know are pay enterprise apps if you are looking for something that actually tracks process steps and documents, not a tool for diagramming process.

Melbosa

Yeah sorry the DIA I linked is as Lazybones said, it's for documenting a process.  Process management you're looking for usually comes with a price tag.  Depends on what type of processes you're looking to track and manage?
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Mr. Analog

I found a good breakdown of various workflow languages and the patterns they support: http://workflowpatterns.com/evaluations/standard/index.php
By Grabthar's Hammer

Bixby

Thanks gang.

Yea, it looks like I need a commercial solution. The reason I was looking at Open Source is that our I/T department has a backlog of tasks and quite a skills shortage. I was trying to examine opportunities that we could evaluate and use outside of their purview. I will start looking at commercial solutions to see what shakes down.

Thanks again for all of the responses. VERY MUCH appreciated.

Lazybones

Quote from: Bixby on May 11, 2012, 10:28:51 AM
Thanks gang.

Yea, it looks like I need a commercial solution. The reason I was looking at Open Source is that our I/T department has a backlog of tasks and quite a skills shortage. I was trying to examine opportunities that we could evaluate and use outside of their purview. I will start looking at commercial solutions to see what shakes down.

Thanks again for all of the responses. VERY MUCH appreciated.

Is your workflow ITIL ?
You might want to check out
http://www.manageengine.com/help-desk-software.html

Also their ITIL handblook is great at simplifying ITIL and making it easy to understand for those that have not taken training
http://www.manageengine.com/products/service-desk/itil-whitepaper.html

Mr. Analog

If you go with a commercial option I strongly advise against IBM Content Manager, on the surface it looks like it has everything you need but there are some fundamental plumbing problems that will make you tear your hair out (or at least contribute to a drinking problem).

The same goes with IBM Tivoli

BAD JUJU
By Grabthar's Hammer