have you eaten corn today?

Started by Darren Dirt, June 30, 2009, 02:27:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Darren Dirt on July 07, 2009, 01:10:27 AM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on July 06, 2009, 09:42:44 PM
Quote from: Lazybones on June 30, 2009, 11:12:57 PM
Try going a day without consuming additional salt or sugar.

Ooh ooh, that's what I'm trying to do and it's @%&#in' hard. I dropped caffeine, alcohol, refined sugars and pretty much anything with a high carb count.

Yeah, at lunch time if I forgot to bring something I go to Sobey's and buy a friggin' bag-o-salad...

...except today, where I had CFL... bad me... bad.

Respect, bro -- I'm having trouble not having a sugary treat at the 2pm-3pm window most afternoons, so I'm impressed with what you said above (delayed New Years resolution? ;) )

Nah, just time for a change... the big one I miss is caffeine surprisingly. I was pretty moody the first week I dropped it.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Remember, most salad dressings have sugar or salt or both.  Gotta read the label, ain't it fun?  It's like a peanut allergy, 'cept ya don't go to the hospital if ya didn't read close enough.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Thorin on July 07, 2009, 10:43:30 AM
Remember, most salad dressings have sugar or salt or both.  Gotta read the label, ain't it fun?  It's like a peanut allergy, 'cept ya don't go to the hospital if ya didn't read close enough.

Avoiding added sugar and salt in packaged food products = difficult. A close second is trying to avoid wheat/gluten, it's amazing how many products you would not expect have gluten maybe cuz it acts like a thickener (i.e. "glu") or something (I suspect I have a wheat allergy been fighting for years and quite recently has gotten worse, thus the avoidance... although local health food store had a "gluten digest" pill that I eat before bread/pizza/pasta meals and it helps a lot.)

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Thorin

I suggest if you think you have an allergy that you get tested!  Too many people try to self-medicate only to find out fifteen years later that they were dead-wrong and completely destroyed their liver/colon/insert-important-organ-here.

As an example, my dad took way, way too much Lasix for years, thinking he needed to control his edema.  In truth, he was diabetic and needed to control his blood sugar level.  The Lasix probably made him feel better because it tends to increase blood sugar, but at the same time the diabetes ate away at his legs.  By the time a doctor actually appraised him and told he was killing himself, it was too late.  And yet, even as he lay in the hospital in his final days he blamed the doctors that he wouldn't listen to for his predicament.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Thorin on July 07, 2009, 10:43:30 AM

Salt is ok, but yeah, I've been checking labels and @%&#.

Oh yeah, and today... I totally broke down, had my first beer(s) in a month and had roast beef, green beans, potatoes and a Yorkshire pud... it was great but now I feel like a lead weight...

Also I had 1/3 of a candy bar today. Normally I'd just scarf the whole thing but it was such a friggin' sugar rush I couldn't do it :-/
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Yes is it is VERY hard to avoid added sugar in anything packaged these days, that is why I suggested seeing if you can avoid it.

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on July 07, 2009, 09:23:57 PM
Oh yeah, and today... I totally broke down, had my first beer(s) in a month and had roast beef, green beans, potatoes and a Yorkshire pud... it was great but now I feel like a lead weight...

Also I had 1/3 of a candy bar today. Normally I'd just scarf the whole thing but it was such a friggin' sugar rush I couldn't do it :-/

That reminds me, have you tried the "6 then 1" so-called "diet"? You eat healthy for 6 days straight, lotsa fruit and veggies and whole grains and WATER, avoiding red meat and dairy and greasy garbage, trying to stay active etc. Then on day 7 you literally force yourself to pig out, eat as much of whatever your taste buds are craving (starchy, cheesy, meaty stuff, maybe ice cream?) until you feel full... Some people say you get full faster than pre-diet, and more importantly you feel like CRAP from what your body is now used to doing without, so you train yourself to no longer crave those things that you know you shouldn't be eating anyway...

Tonnica

Quote from: Darren Dirt on July 08, 2009, 01:44:28 AMThat reminds me, have you tried the "6 then 1" so-called "diet"? You eat healthy for 6 days straight, lotsa fruit and veggies and whole grains and WATER, avoiding red meat and dairy and greasy garbage, trying to stay active etc. Then on day 7 you literally force yourself to pig out, eat as much of whatever your taste buds are craving (starchy, cheesy, meaty stuff, maybe ice cream?) until you feel full... Some people say you get full faster than pre-diet, and more importantly you feel like CRAP from what your body is now used to doing without, so you train yourself to no longer crave those things that you know you shouldn't be eating anyway...

Why I know that diet, it's the Butterfield Diet isn't it? (j/k)

It's easy to get a craving for starchy foods if you eat a lot of potatoes. I haven't had many potatoes lately and hoo boy. Mashed potatoes look better than they ever have. I don't cook with much extra salt or sugar but man there's something about not having starchy foods that makes me crave sugary ones instead.

Darren Dirt

lol forget all the complicated stuff, just ELMM!

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tonnica on July 08, 2009, 02:19:23 AM
Quote from: Darren Dirt on July 08, 2009, 01:44:28 AMThat reminds me, have you tried the "6 then 1" so-called "diet"? You eat healthy for 6 days straight, lotsa fruit and veggies and whole grains and WATER, avoiding red meat and dairy and greasy garbage, trying to stay active etc. Then on day 7 you literally force yourself to pig out, eat as much of whatever your taste buds are craving (starchy, cheesy, meaty stuff, maybe ice cream?) until you feel full... Some people say you get full faster than pre-diet, and more importantly you feel like CRAP from what your body is now used to doing without, so you train yourself to no longer crave those things that you know you shouldn't be eating anyway...

Why I know that diet, it's the Butterfield Diet isn't it? (j/k)

It's easy to get a craving for starchy foods if you eat a lot of potatoes. I haven't had many potatoes lately and hoo boy. Mashed potatoes look better than they ever have. I don't cook with much extra salt or sugar but man there's something about not having starchy foods that makes me crave sugary ones instead.

LOL I almost posted that!

Heh, I'm back on the straight and narrow today...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Saw an interesting show last night called Jamie's Eat To Save Your Life.  One of the things pointed out is that even in fresh fruits and vegetables, the food industry has changed over the last 30 or so years to offering us the sweeter versions.  For instance, red and orange peppers are sweeter than green peppers, and people are buying green peppers less and red and orange peppers more.

Another one of the things they pointed out is how much less people in developed countries poop out than people in developing countries.  The example given was a man from Uganda compared to a man from the UK - 460 grams a day compared to 120 grams a day.  Leaving aside the fact that it would've been a really gross study for the scientists, there is this question of whether it's better to poop more.  Turns out it is, as having more stuff go through your system helps your system work better.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Thorin

Here's an article about a study where it appears that high-fructose corn syrup causes some complex interactions in your blood sugars, which in turn increase the rate at which you gain weight and carry fats in your bloodstream:

http://www.princeton.edu/main/news/archive/S26/91/22K07/index.xml?section=
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Tom

Quote from: Thorin on March 25, 2010, 12:21:14 AM
Here's an article about a study where it appears that high-fructose corn syrup causes some complex interactions in your blood sugars, which in turn increase the rate at which you gain weight and carry fats in your bloodstream:

http://www.princeton.edu/main/news/archive/S26/91/22K07/index.xml?section=
ArsTechnica has a pretty good write up on that, seems the study has some "issues", and probably isn't quite accurate.

http://arstechnica.com/science/news/2010/03/does-high-fructose-corn-syrup-make-you-fatter.ars
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

Two problems in the USA:
1. Corn industry keeping the price of corn low
2. Sugar industry keeping the price of sugar high

Interesting fact about how your body processes corn syrup; it's processed like alcohol, by your liver, and because of it it induces hunger (ever wonder why you get the munchies when you're drinking?)

I'd cite the articles I read for the above statements but I can't find them in my history.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

think "Food, Inc." is stomach-churning? Apparently "Earthlings" is far worse.

According to Ellen DeGeneres. Who is a vegan because of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeSA2j4oiDA

trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yW3gunMSCu4
full: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ce4DJh-L7Ys