Main Menu

MINECRAFT

Started by Mr. Analog, December 10, 2011, 07:59:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on February 08, 2012, 01:28:59 AM
I spruced up my house and found some cool stuff (diamond/gold/redstone). I've left lots of signs for people who go poking around the place as it's right near the spawn.

I also found a LOT of caves full of nasty things

Geez, sounds like the Friday evening get together might be quite the adventure...

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Darren Dirt on February 08, 2012, 01:39:28 AM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on February 08, 2012, 01:28:59 AM
I spruced up my house and found some cool stuff (diamond/gold/redstone). I've left lots of signs for people who go poking around the place as it's right near the spawn.

I also found a LOT of caves full of nasty things

Geez, sounds like the Friday evening get together might be quite the adventure...

MINECRAFT PARTY lol
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

Some screenshots so unlike the previous server I don't lose stuff I build. All this was built in a couple of nights

Nothing super cool yet but who knows what things will be like in a week!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Wow, that's quite the construction for a couple nights' work.  Is there an overriding plan you have in mind?

I like how your house pictures look like pixelated versions of what a real estate agent would take :)
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Thorin on February 08, 2012, 09:50:19 AM
Wow, that's quite the construction for a couple nights' work.  Is there an overriding plan you have in mind?

I like how your house pictures look like pixelated versions of what a real estate agent would take :)

Haha, as you can see lots of nice amenities, close to resources and in a nice quiet neighbourhood lol

I think my next project is to make a map and go exploring. My goal after that is to find enough sand to build a glass dome to house a medium sized farm. (THE FUTURE!)

After that will be a rail link south where I'm going to build some relatively large structures. In the long term this house will become sort of a guest place for anyone to use.

After that will be building a nether portal and I'm going to try my hand at brewing. Oh, I also want to try building some kind of machine that makes music. Redstone is a lot of fun to play with but I haven't been motivated enough to build something really cool.

Of course it will depend on who else starts playing on this server, Minecraft communities tend to grow organically. So who knows, in a week there could be another giant moose LOL
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

I wonder if anyone will ever set up a server and treat it like a town, with a zoning committee and all that.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Thorin on February 08, 2012, 01:27:27 PM
I wonder if anyone will ever set up a server and treat it like a town, with a zoning committee and all that.

Actually I'm sure there are pub servers like that, yes.

It's generally accepted that you don't move into someone else's patch I don't know how organized some servers are, that said griefing is a problem on some servers... (as I'm sure many YouTube videos can confirm)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Stewie521

Haven't fully read this thread, but in case you guys want, I got Minecraft last week I think... Anywho, I set up a server to play with my friends, right now i just run it on my laptop, I turn it on when I get home, Leave it running until I go to bed. (I'm usually am not on the whole time :P) But yeah if any of you guys wanna join, PM me and I'll give you the IP address. :)

Mr. Analog

Likewise if you want to join us let Tom know
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

aparently this game is not like Minecraft: http://wiki.terrariaonline.com

seems like so many Indie games are inspired by previous games, not to knock good/successful ones (such as Minecraft). But it's rare you find unique ideas, especially lots from a single developer (such as http://www.mattmakesgames.com/ e.g. "Untitled Story" which reminds me of stuff like Meatboy and IwannaBeThatGuy, only not nearly as insanely tough ).

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

Well it's sort of like how many Portal clones cropped up in the last few years.

I love indie developers sometimes but the ones that glomp onto a fandom and want to add their own little twist drive me nuts (unless it's especially clever).
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on February 18, 2012, 06:48:31 AM
Well it's sort of like how many Portal clones cropped up in the last few years.

I love indie developers sometimes but the ones that glomp onto a fandom and want to add their own little twist drive me nuts (unless it's especially clever).
The fun part is minecraft is a clone.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

Yep, but a clone in development lol

Hey I started building a subway :B
By Grabthar's Hammer

Stewie521

You should see some of the stuff my friends and I have managed to build :P

Mr. Analog

My subway (will) traverse nearly 32 chunks from the spawn location to a nice little beach area where I intend to set up a nicer house

The spawn is very snowy but I've made the best of it so far, I've built a library with an enchantment table and a portal building. There are so many trees, an impossible amount of them, wood is not a problem (unlike our last map which was mostly plains and desert).

I had really bad luck when I first went into the portal, I got stuck spazzing out inside the portal on the nether end, I had to log off and log on a few times to get out of it. I brought a ton of cobblestone to fortify the portal, I had basic walls and floor done but a damn Ghast sent a fireball right at the portal knocking it out, now I was in trouble because for some reason I decided to leave my flint and tinder with my good equipment back in the overworld. I quickly built up a pillbox around the portal to reduce any additional damage and then I tabbed out to find out if there was any way to relight the portal, turns out the explosion from a Ghast's fireball can re-light it, so I tore down the walls and tried attracting one of the THREE Ghasts that was tag-teaming me, it took a while but eventually I fireball relit the portal, UNfortunately I was at pretty low health and I too was on fire.

So long story short, I got the portal re-lit just in time to die and lose half the items I brought into the nether (which, admittedly, wasn't much as I suspected something like this would happen on my first trip to the Nether).

I finally found the other house from one of the other players, it was hidden on the other side of the trees opposite where I've built my stuff, it's pretty cool but he's right on top of a HUGE cavern that empties into lava and he dug a garbage chute straight down but for some reason there's a ladder so... I'm glad I know shift will hold you into place otherwise lava-bath LOL.

My goals are:
-To complete the first subway link
-Build a portal in the Nether to allow fast travel between locations
-Build a gate using sticky pistons (I haven't seen/heard any slimes yet)
-Build a mob farm (that might get me my slime drops...)
-Find clay (seriously, where is it?)
-Build a super-cool ocean front estate

I've designed the gate in a local test instance, it's pretty tight, I just need sticky pistons...
By Grabthar's Hammer