More dumb magic items

Started by Mr. Analog, June 20, 2018, 10:21:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

LOL.  Surprisingly XGtE book has "common" magic items that can be just as silly.  Zinlal in our current campaign actually has a magical helm that adds no other benefit other than his eye glow red:

Dread Helm (XGtE p137)
QuoteThis fearsome steel helm makes your eyes glow red while you wear it.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Lazybones

Quote from: Melbosa on June 20, 2018, 10:33:01 AM
LOL.  Surprisingly XGtE book has "common" magic items that can be just as silly.  Zinlal in our current campaign actually has a magical helm that adds no other benefit other than his eye glow red:

Dread Helm (XGtE p137)

Sounds like cosmetic micro payments are a thing in PnP games now.  Have to spend that gold on something.

Also I now imagine the owner of the helm having to take it off or close their eyes while trying to do stealth in the dark so that their eyes don?t give them away.

Thorin

I thought the Dread Helm gave you +2 to Charisma (Intimidation) checks because of the fearful red eyes?
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Melbosa

Quote from: Thorin on June 20, 2018, 11:21:58 AM
I thought the Dread Helm gave you +2 to Charisma (Intimidation) checks because of the fearful red eyes?
Maybe in previous editions of D&D but not in 5e, but as you can see the screen shot directly from XGtE (attached) that is no longer the case.

Melbosa

Quote from: Melbosa on June 20, 2018, 11:44:02 AM
Quote from: Thorin on June 20, 2018, 11:21:58 AM
Maybe in previous editions of D&D but not in 5e, but as you can see the screen shot directly from XGtE (attached) that is no longer the case.
Under "Homebrew" options from D&D Beyond you are right though: https://www.dndbeyond.com/magic-items/107612-dread-helm

Dread Helm though from XGtE on D&D Beyond appears to be the one from the book: https://www.dndbeyond.com/magic-items?filter-type=0&filter-search=Dread+helm&filter-requires-attunement=&filter-effect-type=&filter-effect-subtype=&filter-has-charges=

Melbosa

Quote from: Lazybones on June 20, 2018, 10:36:42 AM
Quote from: Melbosa on June 20, 2018, 10:33:01 AM

Dread Helm (XGtE p137)

Sounds like cosmetic micro payments are a thing in PnP games now.  Have to spend that gold on something.

Also I now imagine the owner of the helm having to take it off or close their eyes while trying to do stealth in the dark so that their eyes don?t give them away.
Well its actually kinda nice that they give the Players some Cosmetic Magical Items to purchase, or for me as a DM to throw in a treasure.  And I hadn't thought of that about stealth... have to remember that if the Pally tries to stealth in the dark.

Lazybones

Quote from: Melbosa on June 20, 2018, 11:51:12 AM
And I hadn't thought of that about stealth... have to remember that if the Pally tries to stealth in the dark.

While I suspect glowing eyes are not that bright, it would probably be very easy for beings with low light vision to pick up movement from significant distance in the dark, kind of like when you turn the backlight on your watch on in a dark theater.