Special Snowflakes vs Old School Gaming

Started by Thorin, March 18, 2013, 06:13:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thorin

Here's an interesting blog post that talks about the Special Snowflake syndrome that has crept into modern RPGs and how Old School gamers view it: http://basicfantasy.org/blog/?p=73

I have to say, I'm an Old School gamer and I've played Basic D&D where there were seven classes: Cleric, Fighter, Magic-User, Thief, Dwarf, Elf, and Halfling.  The first four were all human, and yes, the last three were both classes and races.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

Yeah I mostly agree, to me its more interesting to take a mundane character on a fantastic journey than steer some character who's already lived an incredible life further on?

Though it has to be said most of the time when you see someone playing this type of character it's because they think there are game breaking bonuses to be had.

On the other hand one of the games we're playing on the side has the best assassin idea I've seen in a while and it's clear to me that the player just wants to explore possibilities with that build,so its fun to play.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Thorin

You're right about many of the players who demand all kinds of special classes and abilities wanting them to try and be better than everyone else (and thus game-breaking).  I call that munchkinning.  The question I always have for players is, are you picking up that class to get the abilities or to fit a character idea you have in mind?

I used to really like playing archers in D&D 3.x.  The first archer I made was a full fighter, no multiclassing, and was quite good with the bow.  I made sure to point out to the DM what her weaknesses were (arachnophobia, for one, was real fun when we were trying to sneak through a warehouse and a giant spider landed on her (random roll) and started an encounter - half the team was trying to shut her up so her screams wouldn't attract the guards).  The third archer I was a clarcher (cleric-archer), where the first level was fighter and then I multi-classed to cleric.  I did this not because it made my character more powerful (clarchers are very strong when compared to other characters of the same level) but because no one else wanted to play cleric.  I made sure not to take over other people's jobs with my clarcher - I was a ranged fighter and healer, I didn't take over the rogue's or wizard's jobs.

And that's what it really comes down to - does everyone get a chance to shine or have you built a character that outshines everyone?

As for that assassin, yes, it's hilarious and I'd love to see how the personality progresses.  Assuming we'll get back to those characters rather than it being a one-off.  I made sure to put in some background detail like town names, just in case we do get back to it.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful