IRC mods for Minecraft

Started by Lazybones, October 27, 2012, 04:16:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazybones

There seem to be several IRC mods available for bukkit.

I think it would be really handy to check who is online as well as chat with players when not playing.

I have an IRC client on my phone so I think I would find it particularly handy.

Some of the mods allow for admin functions this way as well, might be handy for Tom.

Mr. Analog

I think Tom may have some of this stuff installed already?? (not sure)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

He has bukkit and chats from the console sometimes but I don't think he has anything like the IRC mods installed.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Lazybones on October 27, 2012, 05:10:28 PM
He has bukkit and chats from the console sometimes but I don't think he has anything like the IRC mods installed.

I think maybe a while ago, I remember if I jumped on the server Sev and Tom would jump on almost right after, it happened so often I started to wonder if there was something monitoring the number of players online and they'd jump on thinking one or the other was there.

Or maybe I'm paranoid.

Or both :D
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on October 27, 2012, 05:14:46 PM
Quote from: Lazybones on October 27, 2012, 05:10:28 PM

I think maybe a while ago, I remember if I jumped on the server Sev and Tom would jump on almost right after, it happened so often I started to wonder if there was something monitoring the number of players online and they'd jump on thinking one or the other was there.

Or maybe I'm paranoid.

Or both :D
It depends, if you mean I just jumped on the console, then its just because I had it open in my terminal. I'd notice when people would jump on occasionally. If you mean I jumped on in game, then it was just a coincidence.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

So I take it no one else thinks it is a cool idea.

Tom

I was thinking about it a while back but nothing seemed appropriate. There is a bukkit or forge irc plugin, but I think it creates a separate IRC connection per minecraft user. I don't know how much a given irc server will like that.

Mr. Analog

Oh yeah, I do like the idea, sorry! Forgot to mention.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Quote from: Tom on October 27, 2012, 06:18:11 PM
I was thinking about it a while back but nothing seemed appropriate. There is a bukkit or forge irc plugin, but I think it creates a separate IRC connection per minecraft user. I don't know how much a given irc server will like that.

I was thinking we could just run our own server to directly connect to... IRC just happens to be an easy protocol to get a client for on almost any platform.

If we really wanted to hack it we could even maybe use the party line feature in my ZNC server but it isn't meant for that.

Tom

Quote from: Lazybones on October 27, 2012, 06:38:34 PM
Quote from: Tom on October 27, 2012, 06:18:11 PM

I was thinking we could just run our own server to directly connect to... IRC just happens to be an easy protocol to get a client for on almost any platform.

If we really wanted to hack it we could even maybe use the party line feature in my ZNC server but it isn't meant for that.
I have znc set up as well. And I could setup an irc server no problem. I just find it annoying to have more than one server in my clients set up ;)

Lazybones

Quote from: Tom on October 27, 2012, 07:14:53 PM
I have znc set up as well. And I could setup an irc server no problem. I just find it annoying to have more than one server in my clients set up ;)

Annoying because you need to setup separate users in ZNC or annoying because you need a better IRC client. ;)

Tom

Quote from: Lazybones on October 27, 2012, 07:19:17 PM
Quote from: Tom on October 27, 2012, 07:14:53 PM

Annoying because you need to setup separate users in ZNC or annoying because you need a better IRC client. ;)
The IRC client is fine, but I'm on so many channels that well, I start having trouble reading the channel name in the tabs (I prefer tabs over a list, the list takes up too much horizontal space on my laptop).