Main Menu

1.6 is out

Started by Thorin, July 04, 2013, 01:19:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thorin

So...  Minecraft 1.6, aka the Horse Update is out.  The changes are detailed here: http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Version_history#1.6.1

By the way, the Redstone Update, 1.5, came out on March 13, then had two more releases on March 21 and May 2.  The Bukkit recommended build (the stable Bukkit release) for 1.5 came out Jun 15.  So about two months.  That means the Bukkit recommended build for 1.6 will probably come out in September.

I wonder if horses will spawn on an old map.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

I'm not even sure if normal animal spawns work on the existing map but yeah, hopefully with summer here the Bukkit people can wrangle a faster update!

There are TONS of new ways to add mods too now, it will be interesting to see how people use this stuff.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Thorin on July 04, 2013, 01:19:14 PM
So...  Minecraft 1.6, aka the Horse Update is out.  The changes are detailed here: http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Version_history#1.6.1

By the way, the Redstone Update, 1.5, came out on March 13, then had two more releases on March 21 and May 2.  The Bukkit recommended build (the stable Bukkit release) for 1.5 came out Jun 15.  So about two months.  That means the Bukkit recommended build for 1.6 will probably come out in September.

I wonder if horses will spawn on an old map.
Not necessarily, some changes are a lot harder to update mods for. 1.5 was one of those. I don't think 1.6 was nearly as big of a change.

Indeed, bukkit already has a DEVELOPMENT build out. A beta shouldn't take /too/ much longer.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

I'm actually a little skeptical about the mob changes and the debuffs to a lot of healing stuff. I realize some people want to play MC for the challenge (?) but ramping up mob level based on how long an area is occupied is pretty cruel for newbies who decide to camp near built up stuff.

Also the ability for zombies to spawn more zombies is probably not going to end well, especially since their detection zone is now 40 meters!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Some of the changes bring it back to how it was pre health-regen. There's lots more food available now too. But yeah, the mob changes, especially the zombie hordes is pretty crazy.

The only way out for a newb is to dig down and hole up till morning.

append: Caves were a lot scarier prior to health regen.

Mr. Analog

I guess... I still carry tons of torches and cobblestone just in case...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Why carry torches and cobble?  /home is your friend.  Or /spawn if you haven't used /sethome yet.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Tom

I'm not sure, but the mobs may just get saved back to the map when the chunk is unloaded.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Thorin on July 04, 2013, 10:26:46 PM
Why carry torches and cobble?  /home is your friend.  Or /spawn if you haven't used /sethome yet.

Force of habit

I spent my first night in Minecraft in a sand pit with no light, at least this way I can make a hovel.
By Grabthar's Hammer