MediaWiki Walkthrough

Started by Melbosa, August 03, 2006, 11:11:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Melbosa

OK I am evaluating MediWiki for a documentation system here at work, and really need a dummies guide to setting one up.  I have the install complete, and the thing is running, but I don't really see how to go from here.  Anyone have a good place I can go through the Wiki for Dummies?

I really don't get setting up communities, articles, sections, etc... and just haven't had success finding this info by myself.  I also don't find the help in the wiki stuff very easy to navigate as well.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Lazybones

Man I just looked at http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help_talk:System_admin

QuoteWould someone write a book on the Mediawiki software to make it intelligible?? Brettz9 05:27, 12 May 2005 (UTC)

Yes! You're quite correct. This "handbook" is rediculous. It is disorganized and jammed with superfluous technical discussion and jargon. What is required here is concise and accessible material written in plain English. I would attempt to tackle the problem myself, if I could only understand the information to begin with. :) --Nigedo 18:32, 28 Jun 2005 (UTC)

While I appreciate that mediwiki is an evolving framework, some thought needs to be given to presenting an administrative guide as a finished product rather than as a largely disjointed series of technical discussions. --82.38.248.4 11:48, 2 Jul 2005 (UTC)

My goal is to help the guide become intelligable.. I just don't have tons of time, and I'm focusing on a slightly higher level order first. I want to make it clear what each page is for, and keep single topics to a page. Then, I want to create guides by including the single topic pages in an order that makes sence.
    When you learn how to do something... please write down how to do it. If you put it in the wrong place, an editor should be able to place it where it's supposed to go... but... you know where you looked first for it.. and you should put it there... or link to it from there. AaronPeterson 07:27, 5 July 2006 (UTC)

Melbosa

Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!