GDC Rants...

Started by Melbosa, March 18, 2005, 10:02:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Melbosa

Thought this was interesting to hear the comments of some veterans from the GDC on where the gaming industry is now.

http://www.gamespy.com/articles/596/596734p1.html

I may not agree with some of the points, but still interesting to read what veteran developers think.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Mr. Analog

To be honest I expect another industry crash in the next few years, it's gotten bigger than itself again. What I mean to say is that the gaming industry has gained significant interest from large companies as a profitable, lucrative business and if the film industry has shown us anything it's that when an industry becomes a big money-maker innovation goes down the toilet and mediocrity rules.

If 1983 taught the industry anything is that gamers have pretty high expectations for new games and it is very tough indeed to top yourselves every year, but it has to be done. Publishers have to maintain a high standard of quality and they must always innovate, if they let things slip into the groupthink of '83 where there was nothing but lacklustre sequels, terrible arcade conversions and of course the ubiquitous terrible use of a hot license (*cough* ET *cough*) overstretched production budgets and two or three quarters of bad sales will crash the biz again.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Shayne

I could write pages about this topic.  Perhaps this is good filler conversation for D&D night.  In point form:
  • Games are to expensive concidering their average life span (save a few)
  • Really no serious innovation in the last 3-4 years (save a few)
  • Lack of support and updates to keep the game fresh
  • Expansion packs at the same price as the original game
  • "Gold Editions"
  • EA's "dedicated" shelf space
  • The Sims
...yup.  SNAFU and UFA ..heck even FUBAR