3D vs 2D, the battle begins!

Started by Mr. Analog, March 26, 2005, 08:43:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

Just going over my game collection when I realized that it contained an equal number of 3D and 2D games, while my preference lies in the flat, cartoony world of 2D I own a respectable amount of 3D games. "3D" has become quite pervasive in the world of video gaming and I can't help but feel that something has been lost...

Oh well, one sentimental old fool can still get jollies from MAME I suppose...

Intruder Alert! Intruder Alert!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Shayne

Hardcore 3D myself.   2D is just so....uninspired.  Cant get imersed in a side scroller.

Lazybones

I grew up on 2D and still think there is much you can do with a 2D game.. On the other hand I play more 3D games because of a lack of good 2D ones ;)

Tonnica

I primarily own and prefer playing 2D games but that comes naturally as I have so many pre-Playstation era and GBA games. Now, all of the most recent game purchases I've made have been 3D ones (Gran Turismo 4, ooo pretty) but I never hesitate when I see a 2D game I think I'll enjoy that comes out.

Then there's the combo 2D/3D games like Final Fantasy Tactics/Disgaea and the upcoming Tales of Rebirth and Shining Tears games. Though those might not be the best examples as 3D effects are becoming regular additions to 2D RPG or strategy games for things like spell effects, etc.

Ustauk

You might want to try this if you want something that plays more like an old school game.

http://pc.ign.com/articles/599/599090p1.html?fromint=1