50 greatest shooters ever

Started by Lazybones, November 06, 2006, 11:45:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazybones

http://www.wayoftherodent.com/guests/shooters/bob_shooters9.htm

Seems like a good list, there are several games described in the list that I think I want to dig up and try.

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Tonnica

Fantastic list! Wa ha ha! Missile Command!

There are a couple I'd tack on to that list:
Super Aleste
Bosconian
Gradius V
Sentimental Shooting
Virtual On (this one is considered an abberance of the shmup classification)

There's also another spectacular fan-made shooter I've played before that absoloutely FILLS the screen with elegant patterns of electric death. Can't remember the name of it off-hand, but it triggers the need to get into that "shooter zen" mode really quickly.

Darren Dirt

WOW, they even mentioned the often-overlooked "Sidearms" (that was a damn fun arcade game).

...I didn't have time yet to peruse the entirety; PLEASE tell me they included "R-Type". And "Solar Warrior". And "Oscar". Each of those had some very unique aspects to the weaponry and/or the way you navigate the levels (R-Type: you kept in front of you, or shot away from you, an extra "gun" -- which also had the hold-down-for-uber-power functionality. Solar Warrior: you had a double-jump that differed depending on your timing, sometimes you had to be just-perfectly-exact to make a jump or else you'd die. Oscar: a very hard game at first, until you got the hang of the "powerups" and exactly which ones -- and when -- you should "buy")

Yup, they remembered R-Type: "Instead of having normal power-ups, it had a special weapon as well as the speed-up that made a metal thing come on the screen and go on the front of your spaceship. It stopped bullets, and you could also press a button that made it go forward. It was cool. -TOXIBUNNY"

Thumbs down for overlooking Oscar and Solar Warrior :( *especially* since they wasted a spot with "Commando" ::) ; but a surprised thumbs up for giving props to "Llamatron" -- it was like Robotron with a wry British sense of humour :D

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Ustauk

I think its a sign that I've been on a Contiki trip for the last month that the first thing that came to my head when I saw the title was alcholic shots rather then computer games :)

Lazybones

Quote from: Ustauk on November 15, 2006, 12:44:50 PM
I think its a sign that I've been on a Contiki trip for the last month that the first thing that came to my head when I saw the title was alcholic shots rather then computer games :)

:beer: :rofl: