"Google Drive" cloud storage more free space than Dropbox, integrates w. Docs

Started by Darren Dirt, April 25, 2012, 01:24:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Dirt

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9226565/Google_Drive_review_Adding_cloud_storage_to_the_mix

https://drive.google.com/start (demo video)

is name recognition enough to get people to use it that weren't already using Dropbox or similar? and is it gonna attract the tech-n00bs who barely even use Gmail?

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Lazybones

My dropbox as 6.5 Gb of FREE space, after referrals and activating features like the image up-loader..

Out of the box:
- Google drive does not yet have an iOS client
- No linux support (you can actually run a nice script even on a nas to use dropbox)
- Many apps already use the dropbox API directly.

I will say wait and see... I will probably activate it but not use it yet.

Mr. Analog

Not quite ready for prime time and late to the party.

One feature I was expecting was being able to set any folder and/or selectively which files in said folder. This is something that people have wanted in DropBox for a while and Google didn't heed.

Also, I'd encrypt the @%&# outta anything I push into Google's cloud
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Quote from: Mr. Analog on April 25, 2012, 01:32:22 PM
This is something that people have wanted in DropBox for a while and Google didn't heed.

You can have been able to do selective (subfolder) sync per end point client for sometime in drop box.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Lazybones on April 25, 2012, 02:22:54 PM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on April 25, 2012, 01:32:22 PM
This is something that people have wanted in DropBox for a while and Google didn't heed.

You can have been able to do selective (subfolder) sync per end point client for sometime in drop box.

Sorry, Google does neither, but DropBox doesn't let you choose the folder (last I checked anyway).
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

SORRY I mean rename the folder

yeesh, brain no function beer well without
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Quote from: Mr. Analog on April 25, 2012, 02:31:33 PM
SORRY I mean rename the folder

yeesh, brain no function beer well without

You can move it and call it what ever you want under Preferences --> Advanced in windows.

Thorin

Quote from: Darren Dirt on April 25, 2012, 01:24:16 PM
is name recognition enough to get people to use it that weren't already using Dropbox or similar? and is it gonna attract the tech-n00bs who barely even use Gmail?

Looks like the tech-n00bs, as you call them, will be forced to use Google Drive at some point in the future if they're using Google Docs at present.  Just got an announcement today that Google Docs will be moving to Google Drive, with a link to learn more about it.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Darren Dirt

Yeah but it will be effectively invisible to the tech-n00bs anyway ;) "it used to be stored on our servers in a proprietary way, now it's gonna be stored on different servers and allow you to access it a bit more freely" or similar will be the hand-waving explanation to those who don't really care what's happening under the hood.

Tom

Well, technically Google Drive is just Google Docs 2.0. Drive supposedly evolved from their Docs service.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

From what I've heard Google Drive was their storage mechanism for Docs and when it turned out that Dropbox was "a thing" they hammered their gunk into a roughly Dropbox-like tool and marketed it as such.

Honestly the only time I've found Google Docs handy was when I had to edit an IR Plan (excel document) on a computer that didn't have Office installed. I have a Dropbox account but I don't use it much...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on May 21, 2012, 01:13:47 PM
From what I've heard Google Drive was their storage mechanism for Docs and when it turned out that Dropbox was "a thing" they hammered their gunk into a roughly Dropbox-like tool and marketed it as such.

Honestly the only time I've found Google Docs handy was when I had to edit an IR Plan (excel document) on a computer that didn't have Office installed. I have a Dropbox account but I don't use it much...
I heard something similar. They tried to develop a separate service. That didn't pan out. Then they started up G+, and merged things like docs, picassa and whatnot into G+, and now Docs is pretty much the backend for all your files.

I've found docs handy for accessing docs on my tablet or phone when I'm out. I think I put my character sheet up on Docs, and downloaded it on my tablet last session.

Thorin

I have several spreadsheets in Google Docs that I can then access and alter from any computer with a browser (including smartphones and tablets).  No more wishing I could install Excel 2010 on that iPhone over there.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Lazybones

Google docs and drive have uses but until more apps integrate it, I am sticking with drop box.

Dropbox still has more platform support and many of my iPhone apps will write directly to it.

Dropboxs desktop app is also more mature.

Still interesting, also don't discount sky drive but the iPhone app is read only do it isn't that
Useful to me yet even though it has more storage.

Tom

Google Drive and Docs are very well integrated into my mobile devices. ;)

Lazybones

Quote from: Tom on May 21, 2012, 06:59:29 PM

Yet they haven't released a Linux desktop client, although they say they are working on one.

Tom

Quote from: Lazybones on May 21, 2012, 07:18:05 PM
Quote from: Tom on May 21, 2012, 06:59:29 PM

Yet they haven't released a Linux desktop client, although they say they are working on one.
I did say mobile ;)

Darren Dirt

I guess it's "mobile" now?
http://drive.google.com/start

just got an email within the last hour, the contents of my Google Documents are now available in "the all-new Google Drive" -- the typical brief YT video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKJ9KzGQq0w

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Tom

I think I got in the beta or something, I've had a drive account for a couple months at least now. I don't use it a heck of a lot, but its pretty cool. I've actually used it to store some stuff and move files to my phone when I'm too lazy to whip out a usb cable, or to my tablet when I don't want to fire up gmtp (libmtp seems to not like the nexus 7, it hangs a lot).

Mr. Analog

I think you could opt in if you were a Docs user for a while? Not sure, I remember seeing the option a while ago.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

I have had an account for a while as well, however it is much more useful if you have an Android device vs an iOS device.

FYI Google is also marketing a Enterprise version of it through there google apps business units.

Tom

Thorin

Yeah, Docs users could join the beta a while ago.  Sounds like it works nicely for you, Tom.  I'll probably end up using it for file movement as well at some point.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful