Experimental Tekkit Server

Started by Tom, May 11, 2012, 09:32:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

Are they who showed up in the logs?

I've never seen either.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Yup. those are the only two people I don't know who are in the logs.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

I popped on the vanilla server earlier, the guys there said they saw Ninja_Adam log on

I took a quick look near spawn and I didn't see anything going on though.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Backup from earlier yesterday (likely 6am ish) is restored. Things seem to look fine. At least my stuff looks normal, and a cruise around Mr_A's place shows nothing out of the ordinary as far as I can see. I've added that padraictoomey person to the banned list. since thats the only user that appeared on the tekkit server that hasn't previously been on the other server. If someone complains, well we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

Mr. Analog

Everything appears to be in order :)

I did some Googlin' and according to his YouTube profile padraictoomey is 17 and from Ireland

I also checked the Minecraft forums of known griefers and I didn't see either name come up, so I guess keep your eyes peeled on both servers.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on July 18, 2012, 08:37:38 AM

I did some Googlin' and according to his YouTube profile padraictoomey is 17 and from Ireland

I also checked the Minecraft forums of known griefers and I didn't see either name come up, so I guess keep your eyes peeled on both servers.
Yeah, I found his youtube channel last night. I didn't really see any reference to him and griefing, so I wasn't entirely sure. Ninja_Adam is known to me know, so it was unlikely to have been him. I think he's Nitehackr's son.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on July 18, 2012, 09:27:55 AM

Yeah, I found his youtube channel last night. I didn't really see any reference to him and griefing, so I wasn't entirely sure. Ninja_Adam is known to me know, so it was unlikely to have been him. I think he's Nitehackr's son.

Ah, I wondered who Nitehackr was when I was on Usamot yesterday, time to update the people we know list I guess
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on July 18, 2012, 09:58:53 AM

Ah, I wondered who Nitehackr was when I was on Usamot yesterday, time to update the people we know list I guess
Yeah, another allegro.cc dude. He may not be on as much. He died far from spawn, and didn't think he had time to get back to his stuff. Got rather frustrated. Reminds me of me ;D I absolutely hated having to treck back to get @%&#, or redo things in games when I die and forgot to save at a reasonable time.

Ever play FF6, and not only get past the floating island in part 2, but not save till you get to the opera house or so? And then you die? And the last point you saved was the starting point on the floating island? And that island always kicked your goddamned butt? Yeah. That's me right there. I didn't play FF6 again for probably 3 or 6 months. Basically I had played for over two hours, and didn't save at all. Whoops.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on July 18, 2012, 10:03:30 AM
Yeah, another allegro.cc dude. He may not be on as much. He died far from spawn, and didn't think he had time to get back to his stuff. Got rather frustrated. Reminds me of me ;D I absolutely hated having to treck back to get @%&#, or redo things in games when I die and forgot to save at a reasonable time.

Ever play FF6, and not only get past the floating island in part 2, but not save till you get to the opera house or so? And then you die? And the last point you saved was the starting point on the floating island? And that island always kicked your goddamned butt? Yeah. That's me right there. I didn't play FF6 again for probably 3 or 6 months. Basically I had played for over two hours, and didn't save at all. Whoops.

Cool cool...

Yeah, I know that feel, I think most gamers can appreciate that.

Oddly enough that's why I built the first big cobble tower on the old server, so I could find my way back (before I built a bed). Ah the days before maps and knowing what F3 did :)

One thing that has been a silent revolution in many games is auto-quicksave/checkpoints or the ability to trigger a quicksave whenever you want I LOVE THAT FEATURE.

In fact, it's very ANNOYING to go back to other games that don't do this and you end up going through hell, dying (or whatever) and then having to restart and go through hell again.

I was actually thinking about this last night, I find a lot of console to PC conversions don't always make obvious certain features which makes accomplishing tasks very difficult, however when they have auto-save or frequent checkpoints it's not so bad:

Example 1: Bioshock

You get different ammunition types (armor piercing, incendiary, etc), now playing through most of the game I never actually knew how to switch the type of ammunition, it just never came up, in fact I didn't even notice that I had different ammo types. Then finally I got to a point where I ended up in a large battle where different types of mobs were coming at me in waves and I'd run out of default ammo and like, I could SEE that I had ammo but Gun Not Shoot. Why Gun Not Shoot? Looked it up, learnt about different ammo types and their uses and HOW TO SELECT THEM (some obscure keyboard key), I remapped the change ammo to my mouse side buttons and holy crap, all of a sudden taking out particular mobs was a hell of a lot easier.

Example 2: Saints Row the Third

I just finished the main story mode yesterday (as I've been feeling under the weather and shooting stuff is fun) when I got to one of the final encounters there was a part where I had to rescue a hostage being used as a human shield, well there's no way to get a clean shot, the characters on screen tell me to use grenades. Okay, use grenade, hostage blows up, game over. WTF game!! After 20 minutes of trying everything I can think of I finally tab out and read that you have to pick up, are you ready for this? Jars of farts that happen to be lying around, change my selected grenade slot to use said jars and then chuck 'em at my enemy, they drop the hostage (can't hack the smell I guess) and I shoot 'em in the head. THE TROUBLE IS: 1: I never EVER encountered "jarred farts" in the game before 2. I didn't know how to change the selected grenade (turns out it's the "G" button on your keyboard)

All this would have been WAY more annoying if it didn't allow me to start from a checkpoint before these challenges. I mean I shouldn't have my experience ruined because I have to tab out and faff around online to figure out what or how I'm supposed to do something, but it happens, and if I have to restart from square one every time I probably won't play the game very much.

Conversely you end up with some games that could have been so much more fun had they trained you up a bit better or at least got the checkpoints a little tighter so you could do three fun things and then if you got stuck on one annoying bit you didn't have to go through all the other stuff just to get back to the tricky bit. I found this to be the main problem with Mirror's Edge actually, you'd be having a real fun time (havin' a ball, don't stop me now) and then get stuck not knowing what to do and then get shot in the head... LOADING all right go through everything again now please, oh and do remember to do that thing that you don't know! GOOD LUCK FAITH

It's kind of like those annoying disappearing blocks in Mega Man, you learn the pattern by dying over and over, and it combines all the "fun" of memorizing things and retracing your steps. Whee.
By Grabthar's Hammer

LennyLen

Ninja_Adam is known to me know, so it was unlikely to have been him. I think he's Nitehackr's son.

Nope.  NiteHacker is Neil Roy from A.cc.  Ninja_Adam is the son of Neil Walker from A.cc.  Wrong Neil.

Tom

Quote from: LennyLen on July 19, 2012, 12:01:20 AM
Ninja_Adam is known to me know, so it was unlikely to have been him. I think he's Nitehackr's son.

Nope.  NiteHacker is Neil Roy from A.cc.  Ninja_Adam is the son of Neil Walker from A.cc.  Wrong Neil.
Heh, well w/e. Either way it wasn't likely he was the griefer.

Tom

Tekkit is down pending the upgrade to tekkit 3.1.1.

I'm also installing some extra mods.

so far the list is:

Additional BuildCraft Objects

CHECK BACK TO SEE IF THERES MORE.

I will likely be bringing the server up and down while I test things.

Thank you for your cooperation and understanding.

Tom

Tom

Nix Additional BuildCraft Objects for now. It doesn't want to play nice at the moment, and I'm too tired to mess with it.

Tom

I should probably warn you Mr A, backup the files in .techniclauncher/tekkit/mods/rei_minimap the .points file is probably the most important. When tekkit updates itself, it tends to wipe the rei's point file.