Experimental Tekkit Server

Started by Tom, May 11, 2012, 09:32:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on August 29, 2012, 08:45:32 AM
Oh god! I started reading about computer craft.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
It's turtles all the way down.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on August 29, 2012, 10:27:10 AM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on August 29, 2012, 08:45:32 AM
Oh god! I started reading about computer craft.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
It's turtles all the way down.

hahahaha
By Grabthar's Hammer

aethun

I managed to get tekkit to work, and it seems like a lot of fun! Did I hear something about starting a new world or can I get going somewhere in this one?

Tom

Quote from: aethun on September 11, 2012, 12:22:26 PM
I managed to get tekkit to work, and it seems like a lot of fun! Did I hear something about starting a new world or can I get going somewhere in this one?
I think I'll be waiting till the (SMP) Feed The Beast modpack is released before starting a new map.

aethun

Ok, so there will be a new world at some point in time. What is Feed the Beast btw? A tekkit replacement?

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

I thought you'd guys be able to google it up yourselves, but here it is anyhow..

http://www.feed-the-beast.com/

It originated from a custom map, but the thing is basically built by the mod creators themselves. It'll include newer versions of all the mods, and more of the mods, like forestry (since the mod creator didn't like tekkit distributing it, they had to [eventually] stop including it).

Funny story about forestry though.. Forestry includes "bee keeping" which is sorta interesting, if tedious.. Well the mod author decided to add a new type of bee that would spawn and explode if it noticed you were running the tekkit launcher. So he's a bit of a dick. But then the tekkit team aren't much better for not removing his mod right away.

Mr. Analog

Honestly the only thing I missed out of Forestry was the electric engine as it was a cheap way to convert power sources between Build Craft and Red Power
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

So is Feed The Beast a splintering-off of Tekkit, then?  Many of the mods listed on the website you linked are part of Tekkit, no?  Are these authors releasing their mods to multiple modpacks, or something?
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

As long as I can run it from the Technic launcher I don't care
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Thorin on September 11, 2012, 01:24:09 PM
So is Feed The Beast a splintering-off of Tekkit, then?  Many of the mods listed on the website you linked are part of Tekkit, no?  Are these authors releasing their mods to multiple modpacks, or something?
Tekkit is its own beast ;) they don't always have the full blessings of the mod authors. Or at last that was the case in the past. The FTB pack is put together /by/ many of the mod authors.

A youtuber by the name direwolf20 has been doing a SMP Let's Play with a bunch of the mod authors themselves, and it appears that they are basically dogfooding the new versions of the mods. One of dire's last videos mentioned the mod pack and said it was 'close'.

My hope is that a mod pack put out by the mod authors themselves will be more stable than tekkit, and have better support. Tekkit's bug forum is pretty useless. Many bugs never get any attention.

Mod wise I'm mainly interested in Mystcraft and the newer versions of mods like buildcraft 3 and Equivalent Exchange 3.

Quote from: Mr. Analog on September 11, 2012, 01:32:39 PM
As long as I can run it from the Technic launcher I don't care
I'm not sure that'll work, but they are making their own launcher.

Mr. Analog

Good as long as it's easy.

I fussed enough getting Minecraft to work on my system I was pleasantly surprised by the Technic Launcher (i.e. it worked out of the box)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on September 11, 2012, 01:40:44 PM
Good as long as it's easy.

I fussed enough getting Minecraft to work on my system I was pleasantly surprised by the Technic Launcher (i.e. it worked out of the box)
There's a reason I haven't set up our own mod pack. Its a royal pain in the ass. I wouldn't move to another pack if it wasn't simple to use.

Mr. Analog

GROOOOOOOOOOOOOANNNNHHHHHHH

Okay, so... decided to start playing some Minecraft again last night which meant.. thinking about Tekkit, so I've been playing Tekkit this morning building so many crazy things

I built a filler to help me fill the giant holes I've been leaving (to reduce lag)

I built Red Matter and put that in my Power Flower

I built a Klein Sphere (groaaaaaaaaan that took FOREVER)

I built a world anchor so I can keep mining / gaining EMC while I'm offline.

I did notice that there is a large crater in the mountain behind my house, it wasn't there before so I'm wondering if something blew up under there?

Anyway, gotta start thinking about building a solar panel factory!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

Oh, I did have to spawn in a single bone yesterday as mobs are disabled (I needed bonemeal for dye)

I also discovered we can make cannons, I'm wondering if I need to build defenses against my invisible enemies.
By Grabthar's Hammer