Cell Phone Reunion

Started by Thorin, April 05, 2012, 02:45:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thorin

Quote from: Mr. Analog on April 11, 2012, 04:04:49 PM
So yeah! Cellphones! Like communicators, but smaller and with dumber interfaces.

Nice try, by I'm sure this one's got the hazmat team responding, it's so completely derailed :)

Quote from: Darren Dirt on April 11, 2012, 04:12:19 PM
Its enduring success is cuz it was always all about the HUMAN stories; overlooking the sometimes-obvious-world-government-promoting, most of ToS storylines got you THINKING, maybe even acting differently (or considering it) ... the way good scifi does.

Or because it's campy as hell and we all cheer for Kirk to score another green babe?
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Darren Dirt

no, I don't like camp (if it's accidental), seriously saying the sociological/psychological elements of the stories, the dilemmas the Enterprise crew have to resolve, the "now if only more people would learn and live out this lesson, the world would be a better place..." storylines, that's what keeps me coming back.

Funny how the ToS communicators < TODAY'S cell phones eh? I mean, imagine if the Communicator had a digital phone on it -- some episode storylines mighta played out VERY differently...

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Tom

Quote from: Darren Dirt on April 11, 2012, 05:32:39 PM
no, I don't like camp (if it's accidental), seriously saying the sociological/psychological elements of the stories, the dilemmas the Enterprise crew have to resolve, the "now if only more people would learn and live out this lesson, the world would be a better place..." storylines, that's what keeps me coming back.

Funny how the ToS communicators < TODAY'S cell phones eh? I mean, imagine if the Communicator had a digital phone on it -- some episode storylines mighta played out VERY differently...
Yeah, all the redshirts would survive, cause they were too busy playing angry birds.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Tom on April 11, 2012, 05:35:16 PM
Yeah, all the redshirts would survive, cause they were too busy playing angry birdsweird 3-dimensional chess.

fyp.

Tom

Quote from: Darren Dirt on April 11, 2012, 05:38:24 PM
Quote from: Tom on April 11, 2012, 05:35:16 PM
Yeah, all the redshirts would survive, cause they were too busy playing angry birdsweird 3-dimensional chess.

fyp.
Nah. you couldn't play that on a cell phone. not as easy as angry birds. Though maybe they could hand out more of those crazy funnel game glasses.

Mr. Analog

Exactly, especially for 1966, so many firsts... and so many things that exist today were only dreams then.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

maybe not on a "phone", but what about a 3DS ;)

Thorin

I dunno, the communicators had a hella better range than any cell phone, and required _no infrastructure_.  Whereas a cell phone, well, don't buy it for emergencies because during emergencies the networks get overloaded because everyone's trying to use their cell phone at the same time.

I dunno, there were a lot of storylines that were not at all thought-provoking, in my mind.  I mean, Kirk versus a bipedal lizard, and of course Kirk wins because he remembers the chemical formula for gunpowder?  In an era that hasn't used gunpowder for 200+ years?  What kind of thought-provoking is _that_ supposed to bring?

Hell, one of the main premises of the Star Trek is that humanity has abandoned war because it almost wiped them out, yet they're always shooting their guns.  Oh, and they've abandoned money and are just working for the common good.  Except of course those with higher rank get more privileges, so they're not all equal, so there's still a status ladder to climb - it just doesn't include one's income as a status measurement.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Tom

Quote from: Thorin on April 12, 2012, 02:23:59 AM
I dunno, the communicators had a hella better range than any cell phone, and required _no infrastructure_.  Whereas a cell phone, well, don't buy it for emergencies because during emergencies the networks get overloaded because everyone's trying to use their cell phone at the same time.

I dunno, there were a lot of storylines that were not at all thought-provoking, in my mind.  I mean, Kirk versus a bipedal lizard, and of course Kirk wins because he remembers the chemical formula for gunpowder?  In an era that hasn't used gunpowder for 200+ years?  What kind of thought-provoking is _that_ supposed to bring?

Hell, one of the main premises of the Star Trek is that humanity has abandoned war because it almost wiped them out, yet they're always shooting their guns.  Oh, and they've abandoned money and are just working for the common good.  Except of course those with higher rank get more privileges, so they're not all equal, so there's still a status ladder to climb - it just doesn't include one's income as a status measurement.
Not everyone is in the fleet.

Darren Dirt

I just want to say to you fine folks, well done -- you managed to focus on non-Minecraft stuff for long enough that the "Page 1" of "Recent Posts" has exactly ZERO Minecraft posts. Very impressive.

;)

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Darren Dirt on April 12, 2012, 08:54:29 AM
I just want to say to you fine folks, well done -- you managed to focus on non-Minecraft stuff for long enough that the "Page 1" of "Recent Posts" has exactly ZERO Minecraft posts. Very impressive.

;)

Our next challenge is to get Darren to stop surfing late at night finding weird links :D
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

I dunno, the communicators had a hella better range than any cell phone, and required _no infrastructure_.

I think the communicators used the cell carrier "Handwaving Lampshades, Inc." (A division of "Refrigerator Logic Industries")

Most great sci fi (even "hard sci fi") isn't about the technology itself, it's about the people using it (or affected by it) ... the thoughts provoked tend to be along the lines of "what would I do/say/feel in that situation / with that technology/culture..."

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Darren Dirt on April 12, 2012, 08:58:43 AM
I dunno, the communicators had a hella better range than any cell phone, and required _no infrastructure_.

I think the communicators used the cell carrier "Handwaving Lampshades, Inc."

Or perhaps they were connected using a Quantum Network
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on April 12, 2012, 09:00:44 AM

Or maybe the US Government finally revealed Tesla's secret files? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_energy_transfer

Anyway, we're all already connected within a quantum network ... separation and disconnect are just illusions; we are all made of star stuff!

back to The Grind...

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Darren Dirt on April 12, 2012, 09:06:44 AM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on April 12, 2012, 09:00:44 AM

We're all already connected within a quantum network ... separation and disconnect are just illusions; we are all made of star stuff!

Anyway back to The Grind...

Toke another Take Space Cowboy...
By Grabthar's Hammer