The Power of Introverts

Started by Thorin, July 10, 2013, 06:12:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Melbosa

Quote from: Thorin on July 12, 2013, 11:57:33 AM
At the same time being able to consider what another person might be thinking that they haven't said does help one develop empathy, a trait that's sorely lacking in today's world.  We have lots of lawyers and other Type A personalities, we need more thoughtful, caring people.

I recently experienced this myself, and was bitten for it.  So I'm looking to buy a 4Runner, used, on Kijiji and have been watching ads for months.  One comes up this week and so I contact the seller.

Its an older lady, whom has seen all her kids leave home, and is semi retired.  She doesn't need the vehicle anymore as its too big for her and her husband's needs, hence why selling it.  She goes on to tell me about the vehicle and I keep responding with a question here or there.  I iterate many times I am very interested in the vehicle and am available any time to look at it.  She kinda avoids the question somewhat with excuses of busy here, stuff there.

When the conversation is about ending I ask for a time to come look at the vehicle.  She says she wants to wait till the weekend when her husband is home.  So I offer to wait till the weekend at what ever time works for her, accommodating her needs and overall being thoughtful.  Only thing I added is that she contact me if someone else asks to see it earlier as I would make arrangements to see it as well the same day to ensure I got a fair crack at the sale, and she agreed.

So this all takes place Tuesday.  Thursday I get a text saying someone came to look at it Wednesday and bought it Thursday morning.  This is where I go WTF!  I be thoughtful and understanding and I get bit because of not being pushy, overbearing, or demanding.

What is my point?  Well the world needs more thoughtful and caring people in it, because those that are can get bit by those that aren't.  Now this experience is the second time I have been accommodating to sellers and got bit by it.  So the next one Type A comes out, and while I won't be stern and overbearing, I will be firm and pushy for a time ASAP.  I just wish more people respected accommodation and thoughtfulness in today's world.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Lazybones

Husband may have already lined up a buyer before she relayed the message.

Story still sucks, when ever I find out the seller is not home I don't tend to ask too many questions and just ask when I can call back to speak to the seller. Spouses can be unreliable ;)

Thorin

At least she texted you back instead of pretending she wasn't home when you rang her doorbell on Saturday.  Kijiji and Craigslist sellers can be really hit-or-miss.

I'm surprised Darren has joined in on this discussion yet, at least, the discussion before we started talking about cars :)

I wonder which of my kids will be like me - preferring to be on their own at least part of the time so they can recharge.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Thorin on July 10, 2013, 06:12:44 PM

^ lol, I just "rediscovered" that lengthy graphic on a Quora.com answer -- forgot I ever saw it before! So apparently the lifespan of most of my memories is less than 2.5 years?  :o

...oh wait, I did not participate in this forum thread? I guess I must not have seen it, then, I can't imagine not feeling the need to at least respond "SAME!" or something. So my old-man memory failure hasn't quite kicked in yet, whew!

Quote from: Thorin on July 10, 2013, 06:12:44 PM
>>> Found via http://iwastesomuchtime.com/on/?i=63454 <<<

Definitely missed this thread... because I usually click on every link, and the above is a fantastic discussion -- plenty of other Aspies chiming in! #WeDemandToBeRecognized ... #InSmallDosesOfSocialActivism ;)

Strive for progress. Not perfection.