Main Menu

LRT Track design

Started by Lazybones, April 03, 2012, 12:56:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazybones

Well here is a good case for using Minecraft Structure Planner, it may be limited on materials (no redstone, or rails) but it is good for buildings.

FYI It generates material lists...

Lazybones

Another option would be to just do the T shape, since it is 3 blocks high, as long as it is lit mobs should stay off of it..

Mr. Analog

I was thinking about putting it higher up, like maybe 10 metres/blocks

For the rustic outskirts I think maybe a classic early 20th century stop would fit, especially if I made most of it out of wood?

I'll try to build something in creative first to see how it works.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

From Thorin's comments and thread..

- Fence fits the theme and keeps most mobs from wondering over.
- Small ditch and mound helps as well and looks correct as most tracks have a mound ( could use gravel but cobblestone is more common)
- Light polls would have touches not glow stone..

FYI you can place half block floor bricks to prevent mob spawns on specific areas... so that is another covering we could consider..

More radical, we could fill the ditch with lava, thus giving us light and a way to kill mobs... I would dig it down one more level so the lava isn't level.

Lazybones

Quote from: Mr. Analog on April 03, 2012, 01:10:55 PM
I was thinking about putting it higher up, like maybe 10 metres/blocks

For the rustic outskirts I think maybe a classic early 20th century stop would fit, especially if I made most of it out of wood?

I'll try to build something in creative first to see how it works.

I think it will look odd that high up, maybe 6 blocks?

Thorin

Quote from: Lazybones on April 03, 2012, 01:42:45 PM
From Thorin's comments and thread..

- Fence fits the theme and keeps most mobs from wondering over.
- Small ditch and mound helps as well and looks correct as most tracks have a mound ( could use gravel but cobblestone is more common)
- Light polls would have touches not glow stone..

FYI you can place half block floor bricks to prevent mob spawns on specific areas... so that is another covering we could consider..

More radical, we could fill the ditch with lava, thus giving us light and a way to kill mobs... I would dig it down one more level so the lava isn't level.

I like that initial design, Lazy, with the fence on either side.  Not sure if I'd like lava along the tracks, could be dangerous!  You're right that cobblestone is more common than gravel  The only thing easier to use that cobblestone would be dirt :)

What's this you said about half-block floor bricks not spawning mobs?  Really?  Is that just a bug that might get fixed later?
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Lazybones

They are called Slaps (they are half blocks)
http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Slabs

QuoteMobs cannot spawn on top of single slabs, but they can spawn on double slabs.

You can make cobble stone ones, so those could be placed beside the track (can't put track on them) to reduce possible monster spawn area.

Could also then use wood slaps for a station platform, and use fence gates to prevent mobs from walking it..

We could create a fairly safe open system this way.

Tom

I had replied to Thorin's post.. But somehow it got lost? This isn't the first time either >:(

anyhow yeah. Mobs can't spawn on slabs/half-blocks. It's been like that for a while, so it may not change (who knows, they like to nerf stuff in game).
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Melbosa

Quote from: Tom on April 03, 2012, 01:57:54 PM
I had replied to Thorin's post.. But somehow it got lost? This isn't the first time either >:(

Hmmm never see that happen before.... using a phone or computer?
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Thorin

The slabs in the ditches might be a good idea.  So:

fe       tr       fe
DB ss SB SB SB ss DB

fe = fence
tr = track
DB = dirt block
ss = stone slab
SB = stone block

Can torches be placed on the fence?
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Lazybones

No they can only be places on the top or side of a full block.
But I don't think mobs can spawn directly on top of a torch .

This is also why my design had the wooden light posts.

For estectics the redstone power touches can be dug under the power rails...

Tom

Quote from: Melbosa on April 03, 2012, 02:05:51 PM
Quote from: Tom on April 03, 2012, 01:57:54 PM

Hmmm never see that happen before.... using a phone or computer?
Computer with Chrome. It seems to happen if someone else just replied as well. Almost as if its at the same exact time.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

You can put torches on fence posts
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Quote from: Tom on April 03, 2012, 02:21:10 PM
Computer with Chrome. It seems to happen if someone else just replied as well. Almost as if its at the same exact time.

Normally that prevents posting and presents a warning that someone has already replied, if you navigate off the page instead of confirming the post it is lost.

I have missed this sometimes and navigated away by hitting the unread posts link, thus loosing posts a few times..

Lazybones

Quote from: Mr. Analog on April 03, 2012, 02:33:44 PM
You can put torches on fence posts

Hmm, that gives me some ideas...

You could create some nice telephone / telegraph polls by sticking fence on top of wood polls.