LRT Track design

Started by Lazybones, April 03, 2012, 12:56:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Lazybones on April 03, 2012, 02:35:11 PM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on April 03, 2012, 02:33:44 PM
You can put torches on fence posts

Hmm, that gives me some ideas...

You could create some nice telephone / telegraph polls by sticking fence on top of wood polls.

Yep, look inside the foyer of the Analog Building and/or the single redstone torch on the radio antenna
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

I think I have found the perfect 19th century western railway station design.

I'll even make sure there is a coal chute :)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Sweet!

So...  Minecraft does consume most of our waking moments, eh?
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Thorin on April 03, 2012, 02:47:26 PM
Sweet!

So...  Minecraft does consume most of our waking moments, eh?

...yes
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

If we wanted to make the whole line that theme, we could use plain track and a powered mine cart to drive a train of cars (costs burnable items to run) but that would make them drastically less convenient.

If we are doing powered track, I wonder if we could camouflage the new station dispenser a little... use wood instead of stone for the platform and  have the empty cars enter and leave via little wood shacks?

Mr. Analog

That reminds me, I need a diagram of your design...

Maybe I can incorporate it into a classic railway station
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Hmm, you're thinking much further in the future than me, Lazy.  Maybe I need to go see your minecart dispenser system that you've got working currently.  Where should I head to see that?
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Lazybones

Quote from: Mr. Analog on April 03, 2012, 03:17:24 PM
That reminds me, I need a diagram of your design...

Maybe I can incorporate it into a classic railway station

I have amended it a little on our server and made it more compact... there are some variable elements depending on track compass direction, and some flexable elements such as the location of the return tracks and how deep you make it determines how many carts it holds..

The platform section and spacing however is fairly fixed.

Mr. Analog

Yep, diagram that sucker and send it my way, maybe I can help?
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

FYI the current stations are build to minimum platform length.. It takes up 11 (need to double check) from empty cart entrance hole to new cart exit hole.. Those holes can be further  apart, the new cart call junction is passive and can be placed much further if needed. The empty cart entrance junction is triggered by the passenger detector fence/pressure plate so redstone paths are required.

The placement of the cart call button can be moved but must connect down under to the pez unit, the launcher is fairly standard but does depend on an over head blocker block to stop the cart and drop it strait down (this part may look odd on a level track as there is a jump and a sudden stop. ( this part could be changed to a new sticky piston design, possibly that removes a segment of track to ensure a fast stop.

Mr. Analog

So a possible solution to the whole gold shortage may be to actually use a powered minecart, there are a couple drawbacks of course:

1. Slow (I think max speed is 3.5 metres per second vs 8 metres per second with powered spacing like I have set up)
2. Setting the direction is a bit fussy, you have to punch it in the direction you want to go but it pushes the cart so you have to get it rolling before you get in for the ride.

Unless we can get a lot of gold again!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Quote from: Mr. Analog on April 03, 2012, 03:37:36 PM
So a possible solution to the whole gold shortage may be to actually use a powered minecart, there are a couple drawbacks of course:

1. Slow (I think max speed is 3.5 metres per second vs 8 metres per second with powered spacing like I have set up)
2. Setting the direction is a bit fussy, you have to punch it in the direction you want to go but it pushes the cart so you have to get it rolling before you get in for the ride.

Unless we can get a lot of gold again!

Also it doesn't work very well for multiple users. You can't just have it run around on a loop due to the distance spawn limits, thus I don't suggest it.

Mr. Analog

Is that stopping cart momentum on unloaded chunks thing ever going to be fixed?
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Quote from: Mr. Analog on April 03, 2012, 03:57:07 PM

No it is part of the game for all animated / redstone items as far as I know, it is need to reduce data transmitted and tracked by the server.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Lazybones on April 03, 2012, 04:01:46 PM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on April 03, 2012, 03:57:07 PM

No it is part of the game for all animated / redstone items as far as I know, it is need to reduce data transmitted and tracked by the server.

Bah! I so want to have freight lines I don't have to babysit...
By Grabthar's Hammer