Resetting / Reinstalling Windows 10

Started by Lazybones, May 17, 2020, 09:27:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazybones

My current desktop has been running for 4 years and accumulated enough installed and removed crap that I decided to re-install this weekend.

Just wanted to call out that Windows 10 has some easier reinstall options.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/4000735/windows-10-reinstall

I did the Reset from the Settings->Update and Security-->Recovery Menu.

This kept everything  in C:\Users and any C:\ folder NOT part of C:\Windows.

Only down side to this method appears to be start menu ghost links that are in the C:\users folders other than that you don't have to select very many options and windows mostly just takes care of re-installing it self.. No Boot USB creation, no keys, no install questions.

I did a backup before hand but it really did only touch the Windows folder wiping all apps and drivers etc. Very handy.

Mr. Analog

That sounds really useful. I've been thinking about wiping one of my systems recently as well

*Truth be told I want to do a completely new build but I can't justify it lol

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Quote from: Mr. Analog on May 17, 2020, 09:43:41 PM*Truth be told I want to do a completely new build but I can't justify it lol

Same thought when through my mind, however I don't have any reason.. My current system plays all of the stuff in my Steam library just fine.

But watching all the AMD RYZEN crazy benchmarks had me iching along with the RTX builds of minecraft lol.

Not a huge change but the re-install seems to have smoothed out a few things on the system and made it a little more responsive..

At least I don't have over 15 Visual C++ Redistributables in my add remove programs list...  however I do have 4 already again after just re installing a few games and apps/

Mr. Analog

Heh I know exactly what you mean!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

I use that a lot in my contract work. There is many times a client is moving computers between employees and wants it fresh.  Well rather than reinstall windows, I just reset it without saving any data/apps, then load the latest Build update if it is out of date, and good to go.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!