Weirdest video EXPERIENCE on Youtube -- and no I am not exaggerating

Started by Darren Dirt, November 13, 2013, 04:09:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Dirt

"Duality" (a "mix tape" video mashup thingie, from the twisted cranium of "Captain Murphy")

Direct-linking to insane yet soothing "blipvert"-like sequence of 80s/90s pop culture content you'll most likely recognize, from 9:28 thru 12:00
(fans of Darren Aronofsky's film style: yw ... the rest of you: I apologize in advance).

The content itself is certainly not the weirdest, but the EXPERIENCE of watching it in this way = hell yeah it is.

Warning: Late in this "mixtape" there's some very NSFW visuals, however what I am sharing with you is safe stuff, which will leave you... affected.  8)

And the style of music might be familiar to those of you who watch Adult Swim (the bumper music is often by "Captain Murphy" aka "Flying Lotus" -- who by the way has his own radio station in GTA V!). "For us, he's the most exciting person in the electronic music scene." - Rockstar's soundtrack supervisor, Ivan Pavlovich, Rolling Stone interview (August 2013)

PS: "how did I get HERE!?" = via comments in a funny yet insightful video "How To Become A Cult Leader"".

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

Your summary was hard to parse and the video was a bit overwhelming

Also when I read Captain Murphy and Adult Swim next to each other I immediately thought of this http://youtu.be/wGanffjfV3E

THERE GO MY NIPPLES AGAIN
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Sorry about that. Long exhausting day at work, and when I stumbled upon that video it was like some weird drug trip for me... But with a hefty dose of POP CULTURE NOSTALGIA... So I wanted to share.

I linked to the start and end of the cool/safe part. Then I mentioned the artist's other works for some context (e.g. recognized by Rockstar's GTA V music guy as worthy of respect)

But I understand (and apologize) that the post was kinda reminiscent of what The Old Darren was infamous for (back when I would frequently just vomit a ton of sketchy links with multi-level meta references and whatnot...)

Cliffs: music video by a recognized experimental electronic music artist,  more specifically linked to an 80s movie montage speeded-up video sequence that is pretty damn trippy, man...

Mr. Analog

Nah it was good (and not the weirdest video I saw last night)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on November 14, 2013, 03:22:06 AM
Nah it was good (and not the weirdest video I saw last night)

...and now for something COMPLETELY different... Solitudes, by Dan Gibson*

* WOW that guy was one prolific Canuck! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solitudes#Discography

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Darren Dirt on November 13, 2013, 04:09:15 PM
Direct-linking to insane yet soothing "blipvert"-like sequence of 80s/90s pop culture content you'll most likely recognize, from 9:28 thru 12:00
(fans of Darren Aronofsky's film style: yw ... the rest of you: I apologize in advance).

So I was wondering about some of the movie scenes in that insane fastforwarding part; hooray for the comments, found it!

"Smash TV - Skinemax"

Skinemax is Koyaanisqatsi for a generation raised on late night television and B-movie VHS tapes. It's long form entertainment for short attention spans. An hour long VJ odyssey, it will move your body and warp your mind.

A nostalgic look back at a half remembered childhood growing up in the 80s and early 90s, Skinemax takes a close look at the culture of that era. The images that motivated, delighted, and terrified us on the silver screen, set to propulsive modern music that pines for a simpler time.

Watching various parts of this, I'm pining for the fjords, for sure...

The cool thing about this "Skinemax" video art piece thingie: it mostly flips around between 3 or 4 different movies at a time, matching up similarly-themed scenes (like someone in Buckaroo Banzai throws back a glass of beer, insta-cut to Bloodsport guy tilting back a can of beer -- all perfectly timed with the electronic music playing throughout!)

Quite a trip even without being ultra-sped-up.

Also quite a good reminder of movies I've always meant to see: Fast Times, Cool World, and even War Games and Buckaroo Banzai (for shame!)

Quote from: comment
It is a fine piece of work as well. I can only imagine the painstaking hours (and talent!) it must have taken to composite the clips from all these movies (most whom, unfortunately, I am unaware of) to not only match the flow of all the kick-ass songs, but also the mood of them into what's basically one coherent music video. It is not an exaggeration to say that this one of the best things I've ever encountered on the internet.

And you appreciate it all the more if you DO recognize most of the contents. Trippy nostalgia ftw...

(a handful of other one-hour-long 80s flashbacks here: http://vimeo.com/supersmashtv/videos ; more stuff like this @ http://supersmashtv.tumblr.com/ )