Main Menu

D&D Books?

Started by Tom, October 01, 2006, 05:27:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

I need to get some books, and know I should get the Players Guide, but what else?
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Lazybones

"Players Handbook"

and probably for you "Complete Warrior"

Mr. Analog

You may also use the Players Handbook II (it's very nice), though it is not required.

Please ensure that you buy 3.5 books, there is a significant number of changes between 3.0 and 3.5 mechanics and it has already caused me some headaches (weapons, feats, special class bonuses and spells from 3.0 books are only allowed based on my discretion). Treat all 3.0 stuff as restricted.

:)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Quote from: Mr. Analog on October 01, 2006, 06:06:19 PM
weapons, feats, special class bonuses and spells from 3.0 books are only allowed based on my discretion. Treat all 3.0 stuff as restricted.

Anyone know if the Arms & Equipment Guide we were looking at last session is 3.0 or 3.5?
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Lazybones

Quote from: Thorin on October 01, 2006, 07:55:51 PM
weapons, feats, special class bonuses and spells from 3.0 books are only allowed based on my discretion. Treat all 3.0 stuff as restricted.

Anyone know if the Arms & Equipment Guide we were looking at last session is 3.0 or 3.5?

3.0, hence why I asked about the boot straps, and Mr. A would not allow the crossbow Scope.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Lazybones on October 01, 2006, 08:03:51 PM
Quote from: Thorin on October 01, 2006, 07:55:51 PM

3.0, hence why I asked about the boot straps, and Mr. A would not allow the crossbow Scope.

As with some of Ustauks' gear (atl-atl) if you can provide a link or a conversion guide I may allow some items (as I have used at least one myself).
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Ok so Players Guide I/II, Complete Warrior, and maybe a Arms & Equipment Guide?

I do want to learn the mechanics, and as much of D&D as I can, so what else could be useful for getting a full grip on the game?
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Thorin

Well...  Dungeons & Dragons for Dummies? ;D

Now to be serious, start with the Player's Handbook and learn the rules in there.  Then learn the extras, like what's found in the Complete series (Complete Adventurer, Complete Arcane, Complete Divine, and Complete Warrior - the last would be most useful for you as your character is a warrior-type).  One thing I've found, though, is that if you crack open too many books at once you don't really absorb the rules in any of them...
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

The PHB has nearly everything you need to know, the rest is in the DMG or my brain!
By Grabthar's Hammer