The Megapixel Myth

Started by Shayne, September 01, 2006, 06:56:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shayne

So, its that time again, time for a new digital camera.  I've done an ass load of research once again and I have to agree that the mega pixel myth is still running strong.  Companies are pumping out 10MP compact now, and the 7-8MP compacts are being sold for under $400 already.  My parents were casually conned into this myth when they purchased the brand new Sony DSCW100 Cyber-shot.  While its a great camera, and super high resolution it lacks the features and sensor of a camera to take truly stunning shots consistently.

So I think I've decided on my next camera.  The Canon PowerShot SD700 IS, while only 6.1MP it offers optical image stabilization and 4x optical.  The price is simply rude at Future Shop as it sells for $600 and includes a pathetic 16MB memory card.  I'm considering eBay as the package prices are fantastic in comparison even if the included 1GB card is crap for performance I'm sure that it would be more then okay for the golf course or simple memorable moment capturing.  I will of course purchase an ultra high speed 2GB card in the near future.

Overall, choosing a camera now-a-days is rather tough.  So many choices and without the help of DPReview and Steve's Digicams I would have probably just scored the biggest mega pixel camera i could find in my price range by a manufacturer i trust.

Simply amazing how much has changed since i bought my Sony Cyber-shot DSCW1 2 years ago.

Tom

If you feel like getting rid of any older models I'd be happy to take one off you hands for a modest price ;)
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

My next camera will likely be the Nikon D80, mostly for it's compatibility features but also because of the increased sensitivity, USB 2.0 speed, and SD card support (compared to the previous Nikon that I wanted, which was the D70s).

Yarg! To make the leap to digital or not!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Shayne

I REALLY want a D80, unfortunately I just don't think it fits my needs.  I will no doubt pick up a D80 but not untill next summer.  I am sure to get a lot more use out of a compact then a DSLR.

Mr. Analog

Ideally I'm looking for something that will facilitate my hobby :)

I guess it depends on profit-sharing this month! LOL
By Grabthar's Hammer