LCD / VFD Display links and info

Started by Lazybones, September 19, 2006, 02:34:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazybones

Thought I would create a new thread with some of the useful stuff I have found. Might save some people time if they are thinking of making a project.

Software:
LCD4Linux (Linux display software)
LCDProc (Linux display software.. Client / Server more difficult to setup than LCD4Linux)

LCDSmartie (Windows display software with lots of features)

Guides / Info
DIY FAQ Links
Wiring Guide

Manuals
FUTABA 2 ROW / 24 CHAR VFD Display!

Lazybones

If you are going to use a ColdHeat on an LCD project I suggest getting the conical shaped tip.. The stander tip just does not make good contact with the small wires and contact points.. Also the large standard tip also has a higher risk of shorting contact points and destroying the board. FYI the coldheat tip really doesn't do the heating, it works by passing a high current through the conductive item in between the contacts.

Canadian Tire seems to be the only place in town that stocks the alternate tips, they come in a 3 pack for $30.

Mr. Analog

I should come over and get some action shotz with my new camera!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Quote from: Mr. Analog on September 20, 2006, 11:49:46 PM
I should come over and get some action shotz with my new camera!

Ya I am sure they would be better than these I took with my phone.. I finaly got the second one wired up.. Getting the smaller tip REALLY REALLY helped.

And yes, that is my server in the second image sitting at 100% CPU and out of RAM.