The 12-Drive RAID Storage Box

Started by Lazybones, September 25, 2006, 08:42:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazybones

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,2018300,00.asp

QuoteIf you've ever thought about backing up your DVD collection or HD content from your HTPC onto an external storage box, but were daunted by price or performance considerations, Norco claims to have the solution. Their DS-1220 eSATA storage box supports up to twelve SATA drives and RAID0/1/5/0+1/JBOD. The kicker? It costs only $840. Let's take a closer look at this box to see if it's right for you.

$840 is probably a bit much for home hardware, but if you consider the cost of a raid controler with raid 5, how hard it is to find a case to fit more than an average of 4-6 drives, this thing sounds awesome.

Well my MegaRaid card is in the mail, so I guess that will have to do. ;)

Adams

Looks very awsome, don't think I can convince Annie (wife) that I need it.
On the other hand I do have a nice Raid 5 going on my motherboard so it would probably be overkill :D

Most motherboards now have softRaid 5, I know its not great but its not expensive and works better then 4 single disks. With the size of drives now I am not seeing a reason to go larger then 4 disks, 4 X 320 Raid 5 gives you 960GB or 0.96 TB which is probably enough for most enthusasts as it would fit around 150 Movies.

If i could though, perhaps when I win the lotto. :P Raid Arrays for everyone. :D

"Life is make up of 2 types of people...
50% of People who do want to do things
50% of people who do not want to do things
The rest are all forced to do things."

Melbosa

Quote from: Adams on September 26, 2006, 11:35:45 AM
If i could though, perhaps when I win the lotto. :P Raid Arrays for everyone. :D

You promise???
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Adams

Of course :D
I do have some luck winning the lotto I won on a scratchy ticket. :D Too bad all the money is now gone into my house. :P
"Life is make up of 2 types of people...
50% of People who do want to do things
50% of people who do not want to do things
The rest are all forced to do things."