Barack Obama rejects Keystone XL pipeline

Started by Mr. Analog, November 06, 2015, 10:42:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

QuoteThe Obama administration has rejected TransCanada's application to build the Keystone XL pipeline, capping a seven-year saga that became an environmental flashpoint in both Canada and the U.S.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/keystone-xl-pipeline-obama-1.3307440

:shrug: buy stock in CN/CP I guess :)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

The side effect will be that we try to upgrade / refine more of the oil locally, creating jobs and reducing refining costs, but then have a higher cost of transport to market, reducing profit on the refined products.

Or like you implied, that it'll just get shipped in its heavy form via rail to the refineries down south.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

The other thing to consider is with the threat of a pipeline gone the fracking industry will begin to really tool up.

Best case scenario we start shipping fuel to BRICS nations where they then sell to the US, so more circuitous way of doing the exact same business.

Interestingly enough as of today China has become the largest trade partner with the US moving Canada to No. 2 position:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/canada-us-trade-1.3307544

If there wasn't a recession happening before there will be one now
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

The thing is, there are already a large amount of pipelines across North America.

Here's an overview of mixed / oil only / natural gas only large pipelines:

Here's a detailed view of natural gas only pipelines of (obviously) many sizes:

It's hard to get a good grasp on whether another pipeline is needed, or whether this was just a private company hoping to control their own pipe so they don't have to pay others for shipping.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

There was a good story about the owner of the other competing crude pipeline system that runs down the west coast and how was he was supposedly heavily involved with the environmental side of the argument against expanding the XL pipeline (thereby horning in on his business which also wanted to extend to Texas I believe)

I wish I could find it, it was a classic Colbert / Daily Show "wuh oh" moment
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Yeah, there are A LOT of competing interests here, most of them have to do with money rather than the environment.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on November 06, 2015, 01:50:46 PM
The other thing to consider is with the threat of a pipeline gone the fracking industry will begin to really tool up.

Best case scenario we start shipping fuel to BRICS nations where they then sell to the US, so more circuitous way of doing the exact same business.

Interestingly enough as of today China has become the largest trade partner with the US moving Canada to No. 2 position:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/canada-us-trade-1.3307544

If there wasn't a recession happening before there will be one now

...come ON, politicos! We now have "progressed" into having a "supporting the middle class" as both NATIONAL leader as well as the leader of the province with most economically-beneficial resources that the rest of the Nation depends on. How could they let this happen on their watch?

aka do not they not realize the fast-fading "middle" class will be the main recipient of the economic negatives of crap like this. Not like they can tell another nation's leader what to do. (That's Uhmerica's jorb.)

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Thorin

Are you going stupid, Darren?  Are you suggesting that since Trudeau was sworn in on Wednesday, he should've been able to stop Canada from falling behind China as the number one trading partner with the US by Friday morning?

Also, please define "middle" class.  That's a term that is so vague as to mean absolutely nothing anymore.  I tried googling for answers, none of them match each other.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Tom

<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

That's how I took it too :?

Anyway, you can bet your butt that it will go to the court of appeals
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Quote from: Tom on November 06, 2015, 05:56:35 PM
I'm pretty sure thats sarcasm from Darren.

Yeah, re-reading it, obviously he was being sarcastic.

Sorry Darren.  I was pissed off at something at home and went off for no good reason.

Gotta remember not to post when angry at someone else.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Tom

Quote from: Thorin on November 06, 2015, 07:16:04 PM
Quote from: Tom on November 06, 2015, 05:56:35 PM
I'm pretty sure thats sarcasm from Darren.

Yeah, re-reading it, obviously he was being sarcastic.

Sorry Darren.  I was pissed off at something at home and went off for no good reason.

Wanna rum it up this weekend? :D feel free to come chill. Got games 'n music 'n movies.

Mr. Analog

Right now I'm grumpy AF and I'm SURE I'm gonna lose some followers for it but gosh darn it I need to vent a bit

Quote from: Tom on November 06, 2015, 07:17:20 PM
Wanna rum it up this weekend?

The Thornado is heading out to some sporting events I think?
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on November 06, 2015, 07:18:59 PM

Right now I'm grumpy AF and I'm SURE I'm gonna lose some followers for it but gosh darn it I need to vent a bit

Ah well, if he has time, offer is open long term :)

Thorin

Yeah, you didn't seem your usual cheery self on the forums today.  Maybe it's the weather, I dunno.  People in my house are grumpy-pants, too.

Okay, I have a little cousin through marriage who is named Toryn, his nickname was Torynado right from when he was little, so I don't call myself that.

And yes, I have to go ride a bus tomorrow for sports, and then more on Sunday morning <sigh>
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful