cheap phone plans

Started by Thorin, June 24, 2016, 01:46:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thorin

To show the math?  $0.03 / MB to a max of 667 MB = $20 max charged.

I guess we could get Darren to ask around and get it clarified...
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Tom

That would be unlimited data for $20, I highly doubt they'd actually provide that. But maybe I'm just being overly skeptical.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Melbosa

DD is getting almost the same offering I get at NAIT.  I can tell you for sure it's not a hard cap, and while the rate says up to so much data the over charge is the same as the regular charge (see Thorin's math).  Telus basically offered a stupidly reduced plan to the provincial bodies to gain profit on quantity rather than retail pricing. Also you can use any phone you want with these plans, at least at NAIT we can.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Melbosa

My rates are NAIT are better (half the cost on data) but I'm on NAIT's corporate plan, and I think DD's is the personal phone plan through the GOA.  I don't get the Canada wide long distance either.

But as we joke at NAIT, these plans are basically pay as you go with a minimum monthly rate.  You still have to buy the phone out right (at least we do at NAIT).

Thorin

Quote from: Tom on June 25, 2016, 11:56:16 PM
That would be unlimited data for $20, I highly doubt they'd actually provide that. But maybe I'm just being overly skeptical.

Yeah, I think you're being overly skeptical in this case.

Quote from: Melbosa on June 26, 2016, 10:52:37 AM
DD is getting almost the same offering I get at NAIT.  I can tell you for sure it's not a hard cap, and while the rate says up to so much data the over charge is the same as the regular charge (see Thorin's math).  Telus basically offered a stupidly reduced plan to the provincial bodies to gain profit on quantity rather than retail pricing. Also you can use any phone you want with these plans, at least at NAIT we can.

So you pay per MB up to a certain amount, and then if you use more you don't pay more?  Or you continue paying at the same price per MB?
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Melbosa

Quote from: Thorin on June 26, 2016, 06:44:29 PM
Quote from: Melbosa on June 26, 2016, 10:52:37 AM

So you pay per MB up to a certain amount, and then if you use more you don't pay more?  Or you continue paying at the same price per MB?
The $20 thing is just so that they make you pay something.  Really, at least for NAIT, its a Pay as you go with a minimum of the $20.  If you exceed that $20 data amount you just continue to pay the rate that got you there, no more, no less.  So yes you continue paying at the same price per MB.

Tom

Oh I read it as you were billed the rate up till 20 then something happens....

Thorin

I'm waiting for Darren to come back and clarify the pricing.  But Mel, there's a base monthly cost of $7, and the way I read it, there's a pay-per-use charge up to a maximum charge.  And this RFD posting confirms it (check the last quote in post #21): http://forums.redflagdeals.com/telus-canada-wide-corporate-cell-plan-govt-employees-1435742/2/#post18196380.

-----

On to something else - after the camping trip my phone was going weird, using lots and lots of battery, like, 5% an hour without being used at all.  Two nights ago it went from 100% to 1% in 9.5 hours sitting on my night table doing nothing.  At times it would lose 10% per hour while plugged in to the charger.

I traced this back to Google Play Services (the giant tarball of google services on any Android phone), it was keeping the phone awake for some reason.  I never did figure out why, I finally gave up and was looking to install a custom rom but I don't really like that idea.  Turns out that Samsung did once upon a time put out an Android update for my old Galaxy S2X phone.  Yeah baby, now I'm updated all the way to Jelly Bean!  Like, three versions behind?  Or is it four now?

Oh well, at least the battery isn't getting drained super-fast and taking forever to recharge anymore.  You guys were all laughing at my tiny phone with its outdated Android, but hey, it cost me nothing when I got it (on a Koodo Tab back when they used 10% of your bill to pay off your Tab, instead of tacking the cost onto your bill), and now I don't have to spend $300+ to buy another phone.  Instead, that money's gone to a Margaritaville Margarita Maker ($250 at Costco).
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Melbosa

Quote from: Thorin on June 27, 2016, 01:00:34 PM
I'm waiting for Darren to come back and clarify the pricing.  But Mel, there's a base monthly cost of $7, and the way I read it, there's a pay-per-use charge up to a maximum charge.  And this RFD posting confirms it (check the last quote in post #21): http://forums.redflagdeals.com/telus-canada-wide-corporate-cell-plan-govt-employees-1435742/2/#post18196380.
Yeah that is the one employees can get because they work for Gov.  NAIT's plan is different as its the one for NAIT phones, not employees.
-----

On to something else - after the camping trip my phone was going weird, using lots and lots of battery, like, 5% an hour without being used at all.  Two nights ago it went from 100% to 1% in 9.5 hours sitting on my night table doing nothing.  At times it would lose 10% per hour while plugged in to the charger.

I traced this back to Google Play Services (the giant tarball of google services on any Android phone), it was keeping the phone awake for some reason.  I never did figure out why, I finally gave up and was looking to install a custom rom but I don't really like that idea.  Turns out that Samsung did once upon a time put out an Android update for my old Galaxy S2X phone.  Yeah baby, now I'm updated all the way to Jelly Bean!  Like, three versions behind?  Or is it four now?

Oh well, at least the battery isn't getting drained super-fast and taking forever to recharge anymore.  You guys were all laughing at my tiny phone with its outdated Android, but hey, it cost me nothing when I got it (on a Koodo Tab back when they used 10% of your bill to pay off your Tab, instead of tacking the cost onto your bill), and now I don't have to spend $300+ to buy another phone.  Instead, that money's gone to a Margaritaville Margarita Maker ($250 at Costco).
LOL nice Thorin.

Thorin

Quote from: Melbosa on June 27, 2016, 01:20:15 PM

LOL nice Thorin.

Channeling my inner Ust...?
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Tom

That Play Services thing is like a running gag. It comes back. You can often "fix" it by clearing data in settings for play services. Or do a phone wipe. But newer OS is good.

Tom

I'm actually thinking of switching mila to someone else if i can find a good long distance plan to phil/thailand (mostly phil). The signal here is @%&#, and wind's recent upgrades in Edmonton made things /worse/ for a lot of people not better.

Melbosa

Quote from: Tom on June 27, 2016, 02:00:43 PM
I'm actually thinking of switching mila to someone else if i can find a good long distance plan to phil/thailand (mostly phil). The signal here is @%&#, and wind's recent upgrades in Edmonton made things /worse/ for a lot of people not better.
You mean this notice: http://www.windmobile.ca/network-edmonton

Tom

Yeah, it's a load of BS. I'm sure they did something, but they fscked it up. It's weird too, in BC and Ontario they posted regular network upgrade notices, but just a single one for Edmonton. It's strange. Maybe they just did a quick tweak that backfired...

Lazybones

I currently have a S6 for testing at work and none of the above Android comments surprise me. I think we will stick to iPhones as our standard.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk