want to support your favorite Youtubers but love your ad blocker?

Started by Darren Dirt, October 22, 2015, 09:58:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Dirt

"YOUTUBE RED" coming soon, apparently.

For a monthly fee of $10 you can be ad-free (but, presumably, a chunk of your subscription goes to the content creators you visit)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3IzLRNAxjw

moar deets heer: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YouTube_Red

und hear: https://www.youtube.com/red ( bastards! NAIC :sigh: )

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Tom

I had heard it includes a google play music subscription? And the play music subscription may include youtube red :o

The wikipedia article does say it includes streaming via google play music... but not the other way around. I really hope it does. It'd give me a reason to keep my play music subscription, as its pretty pointless as it is with its limited music selection (limited for me, if I put music on, I don't want songs repeating more than once a day >:( )

Of course its not available in canada yet, which is really dumb. Like its any harder to set it up in canada ::)
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

I want to know exactly what % content creators get, to me that's the most important part

YouTube feels like it's been on the decline since they changed how content creators get compensated. The drive for content creators is now making bankable (i.e. bland) content

I miss the more volatile days where the ROI was bigger for YouTubers effort

(because now they all stream as supplemental income, which requires 0 editing time and therefore maximizes ROI)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on October 22, 2015, 10:20:31 AM
I want to know exactly what % content creators get, to me that's the most important part

YouTube feels like it's been on the decline since they changed how content creators get compensated. The drive for content creators is now making bankable (i.e. bland) content

(because now they all stream as supplemental income, which requires 0 editing time and therefore maximizes ROI)
Some I follow have been lucky with donations and patreon. Like 2-10k/mo lucky. That keeps them going :D

Google has always been quiet about how the split is for this feature they've been planning. It's some mathematical formula based on how much you view, how many different youtubers you view, etc. And even then theres probably a cap per view. So who knows, even if you only view one youtuber, they might still not get say 60% of your subscription (assuming a standard 40/60 split).

Mr. Analog

Absolutely, and that is for sure the way to go to support people you like. I feel that YouTube has made a mistake that will harm its content quality (I mean unless their plan is to just become VEVO Accounts: The Website)

Patreon has a lot of changes it needs to make as a donation mechanism, right now its far too easy for creators to get scammed out of money, not to mention privacy issues...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on October 22, 2015, 10:20:31 AM

For example -- https://www.youtube.com/user/HowToBasic/about -- check out the stats (subscribers, views) ... it's like, SERIOUSLY!? But clearly it's a strong cash flow product. OY, kids these days...

Tom

I haven't heard of creators being scammed via pateron :o What's that about?

I do know that tax wise, patreon counts as taxable income, where as if you setup a paypal link on your website, it's a gift, and not taxable for the creator.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on October 22, 2015, 10:39:08 AM

I do know that tax wise, patreon counts as taxable income, where as if you setup a paypal link on your website, it's a gift, and not taxable for the creator.

We talked about this at my house last time, though maybe the rum was working by then

There are a few ways to scam the system, the most common way seems to be a supporter pledges to pay their Patreon on a cycle, they receive the Patreon reward and then promptly remove their support before payment can be processed.

There are other situations where payment is processed via means that give the supporter time to revoke payment before it is acknowledged as processed.

For some creators the discrepancy of supporters and payments is out by as much as 30%, and after you remove Patreons cut, you aren't left with as much as you thought you would even though you may have thousands of supporters.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on October 22, 2015, 10:45:12 AM
Quote from: Tom on October 22, 2015, 10:39:08 AM

We talked about this at my house last time, though maybe the rum was working by then

There are a few ways to scam the system, the most common way seems to be a supporter pledges to pay their Patreon on a cycle, they receive the Patreon reward and then promptly remove their support before payment can be processed.

There are other situations where payment is processed via means that give the supporter time to revoke payment before it is acknowledged as processed.

For some creators the discrepancy of supporters and payments is out by as much as 30%, and after you remove Patreons cut, you aren't left with as much as you thought you would even though you may have thousands of supporters.
Ouch. I knew you couldn't rely on the actual numbers shown on the site. But wow. that's larger than I figured. Most pateron's I see don't have actual physical rewards. They are all stretch goal like things. "we will do more if we reach X". etc.

Like loadingreadyrun, their old 12000 or 15000 level was IRL streaming, like live DnD or Magic games. They recently just slashed it to 11500 and hit that like yesterday. I can't wait :D

Mr. Analog

Creators that seem to get dinged the worst are those that release a deliverable every month where the funding goes to the production of that deliverable (and y'know, living expenses) and that they don't already have a form of income (like another job or YouTube revenues, etc)

Most of the folks I know of that really get hit by it are those that have a large following and no other steady income streams, they start to really scrutinize what's coming in. So expense forecasting becomes really challenging when the numbers say X but experience says Y.

Its a real problem that Patreon has to figure out
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Yeah indeed. I think at that point, you just have to budget assuming you don't get 50% of the number you have on the site. I think it's a little dumb to not have any other income mind you.

Darren Dirt

If a Creator chooses to continue on their own without joining the Red bandwagon, YouTube will mark their videos as "private" and will only be viewable to the Creators themselves. In short, Creators not on Red will also not be on a public YouTube...

^ http://www.techtimes.com/articles/98848/20151023/youtube-red-faces-backlash-from-youtube-community-for-forcing-creators-to-sign-subscription-deal.htm

Yikes. In Soviet Youtube, videos watch you -- or nobody does...

Tom

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Tom on October 24, 2015, 04:17:06 PM
That's the way it was for Music Key as well.

Yeah sounds like "Music Key" was the predecessor of the music component of this new Youtube Red plan.
http://lifehacker.com/whats-the-point-of-youtube-music-key-1662612843