The Dark Knight is Confused. Key of Awesome #8.

Started by Mr. Analog, May 15, 2010, 01:01:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on May 15, 2010, 01:01:20 PM
Going over the confusing plot elements in the recent Batman films, with music!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbgLapRAloQ&annotation_id=annotation_387522&feature=iv

The Matthew is Confused.
http://www.confusedmatthew.com/Movie-Reviews.php
(Watched his review of Minority Report yesterday, omG he NAILED IT.)

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Then you will DEFINITELY find yourself laughing out loud at the Spiderman 3 review. Serious Facepalming.

Tom

Quote from: Darren Dirt on May 16, 2010, 04:41:26 PM
Then you will DEFINITELY find yourself laughing out loud at the Spiderman 3 review. Serious Facepalming.

You know, I don't think I've seen that yet :o
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Darren Dirt

Gotta make it clear, Matthew is not ALWAYS right -- for example, this. A little harsh imo.

Tom

Quote from: Darren Dirt on May 16, 2010, 05:28:39 PM
Gotta make it clear, Matthew is not ALWAYS right -- for example, this. A little harsh imo.

I can't say I disagree with Matthew totally. I thought the movie was pretty negative too. Doesn't mean I didn't like it though. It was a great movie. Some things against his review though, He keeps calling it a children's movie. I can't really agree with that, especially given how negative it is. Just because its animated, its a kids film? :o

I can just imagine him squirming in his seat for most movies if he has that much against the story of Incredibles. Sure it was sad and negative. That seems to have been the point. Get the characters to their lowest, only to have them triumph in the end.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Darren Dirt on May 16, 2010, 05:28:39 PM

Yeah, I think it was a bit over the edge, I'm not quite sure how cute and fluffy he expected it to be?
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

I kinda over-looked about the High Body Count in The Incredibles (i.e. didn't think about, though it's in your face if you stop and notice it) ... it's a great story-driven film, lotsa laughs and comical situations, but ater Matthew's review I guess I realize just how "dark" it really is.

And the "problem" is that it *IS* (was) marketed as a CHILDREN'S FILM. So it's not just that it's animated (otherwise the South Park movie would be considered... well, you know).

But I still think he was too harsh, he overlooked how funny (and fun) the film experience is, at least the first time. Until you start analyzing just how many outright MURDERS there are in it ;)

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Darren Dirt on May 17, 2010, 12:27:55 AM
I kinda over-looked about the High Body Count in The Incredibles (i.e. didn't think about, though it's in your face if you stop and notice it) ... it's a great story-driven film, lotsa laughs and comical situations, but ater Matthew's review I guess I realize just how "dark" it really is.

And the "problem" is that it *IS* (was) marketed as a CHILDREN'S FILM. So it's not just that it's animated (otherwise the South Park movie would be considered... well, you know).

But I still think he was too harsh, he overlooked how funny (and fun) the film experience is, at least the first time. Until you start analyzing just how many outright MURDERS there are in it ;)

Well, I was thinking about that actually. It may be playing on a whole other level making some social commentary about how desensitized society has become to violence in the superhero genre altogether.

Like many of Pixar's themes I'm glad they didn't pull the punches. They seem to be good at shrugging off criticism.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Darren Dirt

Neat site. And, WOW, some surprises...
http://www.moviebodycounts.com/charts-genre-comedy.htm
http://www.moviebodycounts.com/charts-genre-scifi.htm
http://www.moviebodycounts.com/charts-genre-action.htm

Equilibrium > Hot Shots! Part Deux > Total Recall > Iron Man > Die Hard 2 (!) > Hitman (!!!)

Thorin

I don't think "body count" is necessarily representative of whether a story is viable for children or not.  After all, the original "Alien" has a body count of 9, just over half that of "The Incredibles" count of 16 (I was originally going to use "Saw" as my example but it's not on the bodycount site yet).

Kids watching The Incredibles don't count how many bodies there are, they see superheroes get brought down, then return to their former glory.  They see characters realize their full potential even when others tell them they're not allowed to, and they see Good triumph over Evil, while throwing in the curve-ball that Evil was inspired by cockiness and careless comments in Good's past.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Lazybones

True, I also love how LotR: Return of the King (ex) is at the top of the list so far.

Thorin

Quote from: Lazybones on May 17, 2010, 12:36:08 PM
True, I also love how LotR: Return of the King (ex) is at the top of the list so far.

Legolas may have claimed over 20 kills at Helm's Deep, but astute counters show that he only had 11.  And would you rather have Merry or Gimli on your side?  Merry has 40% more kills than Gimli!

Thank you internetz!
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful