RAID enclosure recommendations?

Started by Mr. Analog, December 22, 2014, 09:40:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

Quote from: Melbosa on December 26, 2014, 02:37:43 PM
And if you gets bigger storage nas (home built or black box)I have s wack of 1tb drives that Tom never bought from me sitting doing nothing 😉
Every time we met up someone forgot to bring them ;)
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Melbosa

Well you still have first dibs Tom but I think I might have more than what you need in stock.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Mr. Analog

So 2 years later and I bought a Synology 8 drive NAS

When I got it home yesterday I started working out the logistics of how to actually shunt data and the drives themselves into the new NAS, some of them were quite small (500 GB) and only one was SATA III

So long story short I bought 8 2TB hard drives on sale at MemEx online. Hard drives really are cheap
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on August 29, 2016, 10:23:31 AM

When I got it home yesterday I started working out the logistics of how to actually shunt data and the drives themselves into the new NAS, some of them were quite small (500 GB) and only one was SATA III

So long story short I bought 8 2TB hard drives on sale at MemEx online. Hard drives really are cheap
Yup. Since I'm limited to 7 drives max in my current nas, I slapped 5TB drives in there when they were on sale :o what a whack load of money that still was, but I have space for /years/. I "typically" go through about 1TB/yr of new data, if I never delete much of anything. I currently have a lot of junk I can delete, and still have about 8.8TB free on my 19TB nas which has room for another 2 drives.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on August 29, 2016, 12:43:09 PM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on August 29, 2016, 10:23:31 AM

Yup. Since I'm limited to 7 drives max in my current nas, I slapped 5TB drives in there when they were on sale :o what a whack load of money that still was, but I have space for /years/. I "typically" go through about 1TB/yr of new data, if I never delete much of anything. I currently have a lot of junk I can delete, and still have about 8.8TB free on my 19TB nas which has room for another 2 drives.

Looking at it rationally 12 TB should keep me going for a while. At maximum I'm probably using around 6 TB  currently, I can slowly upgrade the drives over the next 5 years or so to meet demand as it comes
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Quote from: Mr. Analog on August 29, 2016, 01:15:29 PM
Looking at it rationally 12 TB should keep me going for a while. At maximum I'm probably using around 6 TB  currently, I can slowly upgrade the drives over the next 5 years or so to meet demand as it comes

Yes, now that we know that Synology has that SHR and SHR-2 style of RAID that works just like Drobo's, where you can put in mismatched drives and then just put in a bigger one in one spot later and you don't have to rebuild the whole array.

Still, you probably spent $2k altogether, right?
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Thorin on August 29, 2016, 01:31:34 PM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on August 29, 2016, 01:15:29 PM

Yes, now that we know that Synology has that SHR and SHR-2 style of RAID that works just like Drobo's, where you can put in mismatched drives and then just put in a bigger one in one spot later and you don't have to rebuild the whole array.

Still, you probably spent $2k altogether, right?

Yup

It's worth it IMO, I have this feeling like DROBO is going to die soon and I don't want to lose my stuff again
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

I can install Plex right on here.... huh!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Quote from: Mr. Analog on August 30, 2016, 07:40:25 PM

How well that works will depend if your NAS supports transcoding or if your clients can natively direct play most of your content.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Lazybones on August 30, 2016, 07:44:17 PM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on August 30, 2016, 07:40:25 PM

How well that works will depend if your NAS supports transcoding or if your clients can natively direct play most of your content.

I still have a spare machine with a decent CPU I'll probably let it continue to handle Plex

Man this is exciting
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

Fun stuff!

Apparently there's a lot you can control on Synology NAS via CLI, that bright blue power light? You can turn it off

Anyway, 4 AM fun stuff because can't sleep and was watching Twilight Zone and getting annoyed by the blue laser beam to the face (during the day I don't notice it)

Next step is to build some kind of startup script that runs it so I don't have to enable SSH
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

check to see if you can write to /etc/rc.local (and it exists, if its some strange OS it mght not be part of startup) and place your command in there.

easiest way to get something to start on startup on lunix.

Mr. Analog

It actually has a framework for scheduling scripts on events like startup / before shutdown etc
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Ah, I assumed you were asking cause it didn't have that feature or smth.