new drives to feed the Drobo

Started by Thorin, February 01, 2016, 12:50:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thorin

Yeah, I've managed to get two of my three drives in. This old Drobo takes a while to run its "data protection". And it has to run after each drive that I want to replace. I'd have the third drive in already, but life is not giving me free time at the right times this weekend.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Tom

Heh. While I run tests my NAS will be out of commission. probably for days. :(

Actually I just checked, the badblocks tests on the new WDs finished already. I was /not/ expecting that. The Reds are still going, probably about half way done. That's good then. I can start some long iozone tests with lots of random accesses to stress things. These ones will definitely take a while.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Tom

I'm finally copying the data back onto my nas, the math shows it'll take about a day and a half hahaha. 9.4TiB at about 80-100MiBps.

Thorin

What kind of NAS do you have?

The downside of the Drobo is copying speed - 30MB/s.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Tom

Quote from: Thorin on February 08, 2016, 09:26:27 AM
What kind of NAS do you have?

The downside of the Drobo is copying speed - 30MB/s.
Custom built box. Mini-ITX Intel i3 on a S1200KP mobo w/ECC RAM in a Lian-Li PCQ-25B.

Thorin

Do you have a hardware RAID controller in there, then, or are you using a Linux-based software RAID?
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Tom

Quote from: Thorin on February 08, 2016, 10:32:40 AM
Do you have a hardware RAID controller in there, then, or are you using a Linux-based software RAID?
Software raid. I'm rather paranoid about hw controllers. They can be a bottleneck, and if it fails, you need to have a identical card with identical firmware to rebuild. With sw raid I can just slap the drives in another system if needed.

Technically the 8 port SAS card I have has raid functionality, but it's in IT/Jbod mode.

Tom

Woot:

Filesystem                                              Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/md0                                                 19T  9.4T  8.9T  52% /data

It's fully rebuilt now. Basically doubled my space for just a bit more (or possibly LESS) than I think I spent on the old drives.

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Tom

There's room in my case for 2 more disks  >:(

Or I can switch to a SilverStone DS380B for 8+2. :o dont really need that atm. I doubled my previous space, and can expand to 9 more TiB. I think I'm good for a while.

Tom

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Lazybones