TELUS phone with removable battery AND sim card

Started by Mr. Analog, March 14, 2017, 09:01:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Melbosa

Quote from: Thorin on March 16, 2017, 01:57:54 PM
Yup, lots of free stuff if you use it.  Although not actually free, it is still $79 a year.  If you only get a couple things shipped a year, it's not worth it; if you buy lots of new-release games and watch Prime TV and get lots of things shipped, it's worth it.
So average shipping on stuff through Amazon is lets say $10.  That means if you order at least 8 items a year from Amazon, you get this paid for and typically faster (guaranteed 2 business  days - if over you get 1 month free Amazon Prime).  That is without using any of the other perks from Amazon Prime.

Now that is not totally true as not everything falls under Amazon Prime.  So sometimes throughout the year you still pay shipping on items.  I think the trade-off is the perks for that.

For me, and I'm not trying to sell anyone else on using Prime, it makes sense.  I have transitioned some basic living items to Amazon purchases as well as found some items cheaper there than anywhere else for my business and hobbies.

The 20% off new release games is an example for hobby (which usually is $15-$20 off), and spindle hard drives have been slightly cheaper from Amazon than locally sourced.  Living items like Vacuum Sealed bags for my Food saver, light-bulb replacements for my fixtures, and filters for my filtration devices are all cheaper on Amazon for what I purchase. With my Amazon Prime it makes these purchases even more reasonable to me.

So do I have Prime because it saves me money, or does it make cheaper items save me money because I don't have to pay shipping?  If the former, well I'd have to buy more than 8 items a year (which I do); the later, well I'd have to pay for it anyways in the cost locally or in shipping without Prime - and have to wait longer for it if still shipping in.

And well it shows up on my door step, so that is another perk.

So for the Melbosa family Prime works for me, and saves me a little in the end (its not hundreds of dollars).  Perks; well they are that Perks, that I definitely take advantage of.   
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Thorin

I think we just said the same thing, although you had more specific examples.  It's like paying for the Costco membership - makes sense if you use it lots.

Back to (generally) the original purpose of this thread; Mr. A., any reason you're not upgrading to the latest greatest Note?
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Melbosa

Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Thorin on March 16, 2017, 04:46:16 PM
Back to (generally) the original purpose of this thread; Mr. A., any reason you're not upgrading to the latest greatest Note?

The battery that came in the last version kinda had a nasty habit of bursting into flames

Also it wasn't removable

Also my battery drained today and I didn't notice :-/

*psychically wills replacement battery to arrive faster*
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

I got my replacement stylus and battery today.

The battery is a dud so back it goes through Amazon, charged up ok just wouldn't power on the phone correctly

I finally get my phone clean and usb don't work and replacement batteries are finicky... argh
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Darren Dirt on March 15, 2017, 04:44:31 PM

Ironic this thread comes up, my Samsung Galaxy S3 is still humming along just fine BUT the battery is clearly on its last legs. Considering buying a new battery at Telus Store but only now realize can probably save money buying elsewhere... Haven't even price-checked at all yet #lazyme

...sure glad I ended up grabbing a new battery a day after the above posting. Since March 23rd is when I landed in Winnipeg and had a ton of GPS-dependent driving around to do, woulda been an Impossible Mission with the old battery.

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Thorin

I'm busy waiting until the S8 goes on sale, and then I hope to pick up an S7 for cheap(er).  Right now most companies are selling the S7 for $0 if you get a new contract through them, but my (non-GOA) contract is much better than what anyone offers these days, so I'm waiting for Koodo to do the same.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful