Are you Sirius?

Started by Shayne, December 27, 2006, 09:51:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shayne

The music stations are commercial free.  The other stations as far as I can tell are not run by Sirius but are instead broadcasted by Sirius.

Thorin

The Kids Stuff station would advertise itself (not any other product, though) every fifteen or twenty minutes.  And yes, on a long drive (two hours plus) we would get repeats of songs sometimes.  Kids love repetition; it lets them learn the songs real good.

I'll bet you're loving the NFL channels, eh?

edit: missed part of the end italics tag, everything was in italics, that's ugly, so I fixed it
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Shayne

Yesterday I had to accompany my woman to shopping and dinner with her parents, i looked forward to the drive as I could check all the scores :)  Love it.  Damn cool machine.

Mr. Analog

Well, here it is two years down the road and I can finally see the tangible benefits to going Sirius...

I listen to a lot of music, but I've found that I'm in both a rut with local radio and more interested in listening to a good mix with no commercials.

I've looked at all the options, including the over the net streaming and after much consideration I will be heading down to an electronics store here at lunch to see if I can swing a deal or two.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

I just listen to Digital internet music on my iPhone.
- I have a 6 GB data plain (may not be enough if you listen ALL day) which is more than enough for me to use it in the car
- There are iPhone/iPod docs for everything already (FM modulator / built into car / Alarm clocks /Stereo's)
- My personal music is already on the device
- If I had more personal music than can be stored there are ways to stream your music from home.
- Fits in my pocket and I can listen to it on the train to work (can't stream for underground areas)

Mr. Analog

Well, I have a decent mp3 player for commuting and I do sometimes listen to the radio during that time I'm just interested in the wealth of available content that I could be listening to while I'm drawing or working.

I have a pretty big mp3 collection and I'm building up a repository on Last.FM but where I run into trouble is the streaming parts. When I'm at work no streaming is allowed on the client network and at home I run into bandwidth quality issues with Tonnica playing pro TF2 and me wanting to listen to artifact-free music.

It finally makes sense for me to do!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Lets Break this down:

Cost of Hardware:
Sirius Stiletto 2 Portable Receiver (SL2TK1C) $279.99
iPhone 3G 8GB $199 on 3 year contract

Monthly Cost:
Phone Service + Sirius  $14.99 / mo month to month or $12.90 /mo on a 3 year term
iPhone Voice 400Min / Data 2GB $75 /mo

How much do you currently pay for your mobile phone?

I am sure there is special contact on Sirius but I can't see my self paying for Radio services. Maybe I just don't listen enough for it to matter.

Note that on a 6 GB plan I have my PEAK usage has been 750MB in a month. I could try running a radio stream all day at work to gather stats on it, however if you use WiFi you get around draining all your data.

Mr. Analog

Well I came back from the store and I couldn't find a model that suited my requirements, but what I did do was upgrade my mobile service.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Lazybones on January 13, 2009, 01:42:44 PM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on January 13, 2009, 01:30:05 PM
but what I did do was upgrade my mobile service.

?

Well, I was in the mall already, I had spare time, spare cash and a new plan offer waiting so I wandered up to yonder Telus store and finally upgraded.

I figure if it's going to take me a while to find the right radio that quest can go on the backburner while I got my hot little hands on a phone that wasn't hand-crafted by Alexander Graham Bell...

I suppose I'm all excited about it and put it in my comment there.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tonnica

Mr. A is now ONE OF US ONE OF US ONE OF US HTC Touch Pro owners. Hahaha I never thought I'd see the day when he'd forgo "simple is best" for a fancy-dancy Windows Mobile device.

He's got a pretty good data plan that's about $10 more than mine.

Mr. Analog

See now this is exactly what I want:
Tivoli's SIRIUS Table Radio

Next payday :-)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Tonnica on January 13, 2009, 01:48:44 PM
Mr. A is now ONE OF US ONE OF US ONE OF US HTC Touch Pro owners.

Freaks.

;)

Seriously though, the fact that it's running Windoze Mobeel = meh, but at least the popup keyboard allows a stylus or fingernail for clicking, not just fingertip touches (iPhone). I played around with Dionne's HTC last weekend, too many menus and of course (since it's a Microsoft OS) it makes default decisions on occasion that are contrary to what I would decide if MS didn't decide for me (I'll shut up now, I don't actually own the thing so on second thought forget my negativity, instead congrats Mr. A on moving into the 21st century ;) )

Strive for progress. Not perfection.